Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network not connecting

• Please log in to reply

bklyngrrl

bklyngrrl

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have a Dell Inspirion 700m, which has been working fine. I have A Westell DSL router that I have been using for almost a year, without any glitches.

However, today I ran into a glitch. For some reason my laptop will not connect to my WEP enabled wireless network. All of a sudden while I was surfing the web I just lost connectivity and have not been able to connect.
Items to note:
1. My laptop's internal NIC card (Intel®PRO/Wireless 2200BG) is finding the networks in range.
2. I have eliminated the DSL router as an issue, because another laptop & a desktop in my house are able to successfully connect.
3. I also have made several failed attempts to connect to unsecured networks in range, networks that I am normally able to connect to.
3. Prior to the issue I had inserted a Memory Expansion card in the laptop's slot (no error message or indiation of a problem displayed)
4. I notice that in my Network Connections it showing 1394 Connection as connected. So I disabled it, thinking it was causing a conflict, to no avail, still no wireless connectivity.
5. I have restarted a number of times hoping that would bring me back to normal. To no avail.

Any help to get me back to normal would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So no other networks work, including your house? That pretty much points to the laptop then... Have you by chance tried a System Restoration? If you haven't it's something to consider. Also, if you aren't sure how to use System Restore, let us know and we will provide you with in-depth instructions :whistling: Also, have you tried updating any drivers for your network card?

bklyngrrl

bklyngrrl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks, I did update to the most recent Driver, however, it still not connecting.

I have a gut feeling that it has something to do with the fact that the 1394 Connection is connected. Does anyone know how to disconnect vs. disable? I have a funny suspicion that may be the culprit since I did insert a Media Card.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
What other option do you see besides 1394?

bklyngrrl

bklyngrrl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks for your replies.
I am back online :whistling:
Turns out that there is an issue with Dell wireless cards and Westell 327 DSL Modem/Routers from Verizon.
Just in case anyone else runs into this issue here is what I did- Turned the router off & back on. When it came back-up & I opened my browser, a Verizon screen came up with the option to reinstall software, so I chose it.

If you go to:
http://support.dell....o...;l=en&s=gen
there are instructions as to how to download the updated Westell software from verizon.

I assume when I reinstalled the software from Verizon, that it included the update, because as soon as I completed the reinstall, my laptop connection came back-up.
Thanks again

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Glad to hear it was fixed. Good luck to you in the future, and we'll see you around :whistling: