Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something wrong with my built computer?

• Please log in to reply

aaronhm16

aaronhm16

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Okay, so I bought a barebones Dell gx180 system and put in 1gb of kingston ram and a Pentium D processor. When I turn the computer on all the disks turn on, the processor starts to get hot, and the fan runs, but there is no signal going to the monitor. I also tried putting in a video card and hooking that up but still no picture. Also, after about 10 seconds the fan gets louder and louder and starts running really fast. It also blows air out of the computer, is it supposed to do that, I thought fans are supposed to blow air inside the computer. Anyway, the fan seems to be running much faster than it should. Any ideas?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I cannot find any information on a Dell GX180. A GX150 and a GX200 but not a GX180. Is this a european computer? From what i read about the 150 and 200's you should not have been able to install a pentium 4 processor in the computer. Do you have a website that has the info on this model of computer. Did you use thermal grease on the heatsink when you installed it on the processor? We need a lot more detailed information on your computer to figure out what is wrong.

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I found a Usenet post from September 2001 from a user who also claimed that he had a "new" Dell GX180, so if the original poster here does have a GX180, it certainly doesn't look like it was able to take a Pentium D.

aaronhm16

aaronhm16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I apologize for the mistake... it's a Dell gx280...
Here's some dell info:
http://support.dell..../ug/specs02.htm
The person I bought it from said I needed a LGA775 chipset... which I got.
When you say thermal grease do you mean that grayish putty-like stuff on the heat sink, if so then yes there is thermal grease on
Sorry for the mix up

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
According to the Wiki, this model doesn't support Pentium D, which is a dual-core processor. It'll fit but it won't work. So unless you can find a BIOS upgrade from the Dell site to allow it to talk to a Pentium D processor, you're stuck.

aaronhm16

aaronhm16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
ok... did I damage the processor by trying to run it in the computer?
would the pentium d processor work in a dell dimension 4700?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Dell has renamed many of their models, i.e. the successor to the Dimension 5100 became the E510, the successor to the Dimension 3000 became the E310.

To add to the confusion, Dell continues to sell many of these models under the old naming convention in their business store and in international markets.

Therefore the simple answer is - don't know. :whistling: Shove it in and see what happens.