Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU at 100%, disabled sound (was Extreme Need In Help)

• Please log in to reply

PleaseHELP111

PleaseHELP111

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, please don't flame against me if I posted in the wrong section.
Please take some time to read what I have to say, because I need any and all the help I can get =[.

The problem is that my CPU Usage is at a stable 100%, and by having that at a stable 100%, my computer is extremely laggy, and I am unable to load any program. When my computer boots and just finishes loading all the startup programs, I'm able to load a program or two. So I Ctrl+Alt+Del to get into TaskManager, I checked to see on the proccess tab in task manager, and unexpectedly found that a proccess running named svchost.exe was at a CPU Usage rate of 89-99. Just to test the CPU Usage, I ended that proccess and my CPU Usage went down to a rate of 12-20%. I figured out that the proccess I ended was the svchost.exe that enables me to hear audio. So to summarize it:

100% CPU Usage
SVCHOST.EXE (AUDIO) Using 89-99 CPU USAGE

Please Help Me, I'm at a point where I've tried everything to stop this problem.
I have ran S&B S&D, Ad-Aware SE, AVG Antivirus, and Defragmenting my system.
I run on Windows XP Pro.

Please help me again ='[....

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!!

Try updating your sound card, or rolling back to an older driver. Here's how to get to it and accomplish that:

Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the tab that says Hardware. Now click on Device Manager. Click on the + next to the catagory that is called Sound, video and game controllers. You will have to double-click on the one that applies to your sound card. Out of the listed choices, it will NOT be these:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Unimodem Full-Duplex Audio Device
Video Codecs

When you find the one that applies to your sound card, double-click on it. Click on the Driver tab and then click on Update Driver. Follow the onscreen prompts to install the latest drivers. If the one you updated is not the right one, try a different one under the Sound, video and game controllers catagory.

You will have to restart your computer after each driver update.

Alternatively, if you know the brand and model number of your sound card, go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers. If you know the brand and model number, but need help finding the update, post that info and I will help you find your driver. :whistling: