Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

T30 DOA

• Please log in to reply

spcai

spcai

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Howdy everyone,

I bought a Thinkpad T30 from an Ebay seller and is DOA. That lady has since packed her tent and ran. I may or may not be able to get my money back and it's more than likely that I would end up holding on to this DOA laptop. Here's its symptom and what I had tried to rectify:

1. The laptop powered up fine but there was nothing on the LCD (blank or black). I then hooked it up to the external monitor with similar result (blank).

2. I took the old RAM out and stick the new ones in and the result is the same with or without the external monitor connection (blank screen).

3. I took the HHD out and stuck it into my other T30 and the window xp runs just fine and the only thing it asks is to updating it (I think because it detects a different motherboard and other associated hardwares).

Question:

Is it the motherboard that I should be concentration on?
Is it the LCD?
Is it the BIOS?

If it is the BIOS, how do you update the BIOS with blank screen?

Million thanks in advance

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
If you hooked it up to an external monitor and still got no signal, then I wouldn't think it would be the LCD. It sounds like a problem with the mobo/video card. There could be a loose connection or it could be burned out altogether.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi spcai. Welcome to GTG. Take a look at this site.

http://www-307.ibm.c...cid=MIGR-4YQHUC

Edited by 4238dwight, 17 September 2006 - 09:46 AM.