Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost dplayx.dll, keep getting box saying not found

• Please log in to reply

rene0000

rene0000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Windows 98 and my son has been playing his games on this computer for years. He for some reason cannot play some of them today. I tried unistalling and reinstalling to try again. A box keeps popping up with the following:

A required .DLL file, DPLAYX.DLL, was not found, when I click ok, then another box is behind it that states the following;

Open File Error
Unexpected Error

I also looked up dplayx.dll files on the Windows 98 forum and tried the following as well:Try this:

1. Start -> Run -> type regsvr32 /u C:\Windows\system32\dplayx.dll
2. Restart your computer. Delete dplayx.dll from the C:\Windows\system32\ folder
3. Click Here and download dplayx.dll to your desktop.
4. Unzip the file, and copy to your Windows\system32 folder.
5. Start -> Run -> type regsvr32 C:\Windows\system32\dplayx.dll
5. Restart.

I clicked on #3, and it opened the same site I found earlier. I clicked on download prompt and it opened a box asking to open from site or download to computer, I eventually tried both options to no avail...they both won't open at all! What is wrong and what do I do now. I also tried:
Start/Run/regsvr32/u C:\windows\system32\dplayx.dll, as well and not working that way either.
What do I do now? Hope you can help me out. I also do not have any of the disc's that came with this computer.

Help me.
rene0000

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can get the file here

http://www.dll-files...es.shtml?dplayx

Unzip and copy or move to C:\Windows\System

rene0000

rene0000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you, but I already fixed my problem. I went in and downloaded a software that repairs and updates the "Core" of the systems software. I also downloaded the DirectX 9 series and that repaired my problem. I also mentioned in my email to you that on #3, click here, was the site I was saying was not opening for me. But that is ok that you didn' t read and understand my email to you....so thank you, but I already fixed it.

rene0000

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
DLL Files only has the option to download, there is no option to run

You must have been at a different site

Glad you fixed it though

ReeseWalter

ReeseWalter

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have a Windows 98 and my son has been playing his games on this computer for years. He for some reason cannot play some of them today. I tried unistalling and reinstalling to try again. A box keeps popping up with the following:

A required .DLL file, DPLAYX.DLL, was not found, when I click ok, then another box is behind it that states the following;

Open File Error
Unexpected Error

I also looked up dplayx.dll files on the Windows 98 forum and tried the following as well:Try this:

1. Start -> Run -> type regsvr32 /u C:\Windows\system32\dplayx.dll
2. Restart your computer. Delete dplayx.dll from the C:\Windows\system32\ folder
3. Click Here and download dplayx.dll to your desktop.
4. Unzip the file, and copy to your Windows\system32 folder.
5. Start -> Run -> type regsvr32 C:\Windows\system32\dplayx.dll
5. Restart.

I clicked on #3, and it opened the same site I found earlier. I clicked on download prompt and it opened a box asking to open from site or download to computer, I eventually tried both options to no avail...they both won't open at all! What is wrong and what do I do now. I also tried:
Start/Run/regsvr32/u C:\windows\system32\dplayx.dll, as well and not working that way either.
What do I do now? Hope you can help me out. I also do not have any of the disc's that came with this computer.

Help me.
rene0000

hi,

You can go to this site ..
http://www.fix-all-d...com/dplayx.dll/

as I registered few dll's from this site as it is free...worked in my case :D