Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spotty internet connection for laptop, keeps disconnecting from the ne

• Please log in to reply

juno81

juno81

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK, please help! I have basically no clue on how networking works, or how to fix a problem with it when it happens. I have called our DSL provider (SBC-Southwestern Bell Co), but everything they have tried hasn't worked. :help:

I am not sure if anyone out there can help me, and I am also not sure what info I need to include in this first post about this problem. :whistling:

We have DSL through SBC and they provided us with the 2 wire system, the connection for the main computer is great. We had the network setup by the geeksquad and it has been working great until this past week. We connect the laptop to the network with the Belkin USB Network Adapter, it is definetly within range of the network (the computer is only about 8 to 10 feet away and no wall inbetween them), but lately it has had a very spotty connection. Sometimes it wont find the network at all. Other times it only stays connected for less than a minute, sometimes more, the point is it is unreliable and extremely fustrating. I'm not sure what caused it to happen, or what to do. As I said we spoke to the SBC helpdesk and they were unable to help us fix, or figure out what the problem was. I also scanned through the posts that seemed like they were similar, but got nothing helpful from them. It is set to channel 10, but we can't set it to a higher channel because there is nothing higer available.....I am really just reaching here :)

Is anyone out there willing to help a networking dummy?? :blink:
Thanks in advance!! :lol:

Edited by juno81, 17 September 2006 - 07:17 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. What kind of network adpater are you using? Is it internal in the laptop? You might need something better...

juno81

juno81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
it is an external one, we just connect it to the USB port It's a Belkin wireless G USB Adapter802.11g-54Mbps whatever that means. Is that what you wanted to know? Sorry Like I said I am a networking dummy :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Yes, that's exactly what I wanted. Have you searched support documents from Belkin? It sounds like it could just be that adapter and its receiving abilities causing issues... Hard to say.