Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Standby problems

• Please log in to reply

sarahx

sarahx

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:whistling: After I put my computer into standby, I try and start it up again. The fans will come back on, and as far as I can tell, the computer is working fully (once I managed to log off by using just the keyboard) but the screen is still blank. I've tried moving the mouse, tapping the keyboard, opening task manager and the start menu to try and snap it out of it, but it still doesn't come back on. In fact the only way to recover it is to turn off the computer. I don't shut it down, just turn it off, but when I turn it back on again, there are no problems- no scandisk, system check or any other signs that I've just turned off the computer without shutting down. Is there anything I can do to try and fix this? Thanks :blink:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most motherboards have settings to turn off video output, and shut hard drives down when inactive. Sometimes when the windows power options are also used it causes sort of a double whammy that stops the computer from responding. Try setting the standby, hybernate, monitor off, and HD off settings in windows to NEVER and see if the problem goes away.

I have seen a few computers that needed the power management in the BIOS turned off for the computer to work properly. In these computers i used the window power management instead.

SRX660