Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Data external V92 modem won't install

• Please log in to reply

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
A friend of mine recently bought a Best data External V92 56sx-92 modem. When he went to install it the computer kept crashing before it finished. I checked it out and the drivers had not passed XP testing and were ultimately giving him the blue screen of death. I then downloaded drivers from their website only to have the exact same result. I have searched the internet for a different set of drivers and have not been successful! I did find however that there are tons of other people having the same problem and really have nothing good to say about this product. I connected the modem through the hyper terminal so I know that the modem itself is not defective. I contacted tech support (via e mail, they have no phone support, how lame) and three days later still have yet to hear from them! Now that is service! :whistling: I was wondering if anybody here has had any experience with this and is there anything that I can do to get it to work? Does anybody know where i might be able to find a working set of drivers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Is it usb or serial? If usb you will have to find software to make it work. if serial you could try setting it up as a standard modem..... don't know offhand if xp will let you do that for sure or not but done it many times with windows 9x....

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
It is a serial modem. What drivers should I use?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well as I said I havent' actually tried this on windows xp but you would have to use add new hardware wizard. it will probably asked if it is already installed tell it yes ( of course have it plugged in and turned on ). if it then gives you a list tell it new hardware.... then tell it you will select..... tell it modem..... then check dont' detect modem and finally tell it is a standard modem of the correct speed... ( v92 is 56000 or 56k ) you will then probabaly have to select which port it is connected to....

again I'm not possitive this will work but it's worth a shot...

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I meant to post but got busy and hadn't had a chance. Installing the modem as a generic modem worked! Thanks for the idea. :whistling: Granted, he cannot use all of the nifty software that came with it but it works all the same. FYI, Best Data still has not returned any of my e mails to this day! What poor customer service they have. My recommendation, never buy any products by Best Data! :blink: I have never experienced such poor customer service!

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Glad that worked for you!!! wasn't sure if xp would actually suport that or not.... I use my external with linux so haven't had to deal with that....