Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfering From Old Computer To New Computer

• Please log in to reply

sleepyd0069

sleepyd0069

• Pip
  • 1 posts
<_< HOW DO I SWITCH ALL MY FILES FROM MT OLD COMPUTER TO MY NEWW ONE?

Edited by sleepyd0069, 28 November 2003 - 12:11 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome sleepyd0069 :D

You'd think there'd be an easy way, wouldn't you? <_<

Usually the best and easiest way is to install all the programs you had on your old computer onto your new computer using the install disks. Then copy over the files you've created (usually the "my documents" folder) using explorer.

Often times the easiest way to accomplish this is by installing the hard drive from your old computer into your new one (depending on your level of expertise :D ). Install one as the master and one as the slave. Usually, the old drive will be the slave, as the new drive is already configured as the master. If you need help installing the old hard drive, just ask.

We'll also need some more details. Do you have Outlook, or Outlook Express files you also want to transfer. If so, please specify and we can help you know which ones to copy, and where to find them. Any other files your concerned about?