Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slower Computer and Buffering

• Please log in to reply

dannyyukon

dannyyukon

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello. You guys have helped me a few times before so I'm back again! I used to have a lightning fast computer which is relatively new. Lately I've noticed some slowness but most noticeably with streaming video's. They used to be lightning fast and now they are way slower. On YouTube, the whole file would be downloaded while the first 15 seconds have played. Now it has trouble keeping up. I've tried everything in my system tools. I've cleared the temp files, cleaned disk, scanned the registry, scanned for spyware and viruses, tried WinSock. Nothing I do is working. I was hoping someone would be able to help. I have a cable modem which has been real reliable up until now. Hope you can help!

-Dan

Advertisements

SirMrX

SirMrX

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'd test my speed modem first...make sure i'm getting the bandwith that i'm paying for. If you do get the right speed then i'd test different sites not just youtube. if you dont have any spyware i'd check my processes see what i'm running and why they're running.

dannyyukon

dannyyukon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I just did a speed test and this was my result:

Communications 2 megabits per second
Storage 246 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 4.2 seconds
Subjective rating Great