Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rebooted Windows 98 but it is still not starting!

• Please log in to reply

Ciara

Ciara

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Please help as I have very, very limited computer knowledge...so, I'll try and explain this one to the best of my ability. Got a new PC, but needed some files from my old one so put it on and the screen froze. I tried to restart it but got error messages that it couldn't find the Boot Record. Anyway, I inserted the Boot disk into the floppy drive thinking that it would restart from doing this but it isn't doing so!! I'm just getting an a:\ prompt on the screen. Windows won't start at all, not even in safe mode. What do I do? I really need this information from my pc. I know I should have made backups but I stupidly thought the HD would be their for me to access. Please, please help!!!

Ciara

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the boot disk is only supposed to get you into a limited DOS environment, not put you into Windows.

That part is normal.

The boot record is fixable, but before we do that, just to be safe, what files were you moving onto your computer when it froze?

What version Windows did you have on the old computer, and what version on the new computer.

And where were you putting the files?

Ciara

Ciara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Gerry,
Thank you for replying - I appreciate it!

Well, my old operating system was Windows 98. New Pc is Windows XP Home. I was accessing an accounts programme (SAGE) when the old pc froze and I closed it down. The file I need is an excel file but I just need to save it to a floppy which why I'm hoping not to have to loss what is on the old computer.

Ciara

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Just one file? Or many? Do you know where they are? (folder name)

If it is just one or two files, it may just be easier to copy them to a floppy in DOS and move them over. Do you have any idea how large the file(s) is?

While normally safe, there is a little risk in repairing a boot record--not much, but a little.

At the same time, using alternate methods is completely safe, since if only the boot record is damaged, the files remain intact.

The DOS command is easy and I can give it to you to retype.

Also, the boot disk...where did you get it? The only gotcha is there is not much room on a typical boot disk, so that will have to be modified or you can use a different one.

Ciara

Ciara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'd be happy enough if I just got one file. It is a an excel file stored in 'my documents'

I got a copy of the Boot Record from a friend who copied it onto a floppy disk (1.44MB)??? If that makes any sense?

If I managed to recover the file, could I use the dos command to reinstall windows?

Thank you again,
Ciara

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
after booting with the boot disk, (which is different from the boot record), type the following (the prompt will be there already)

a:\>copy c:\mydocu~1\filename.xls a:\

hit enter

You will either get a message saying 1 file copied or not enough room on the disk

and yes, we can get your computer back up and running with the boot disk, (possibly), or it may require the Windows CD.

After you copy the floppy, though, could you restart your comptuer without the floppy and give me the EXACT message...there are subtle variations.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
"~" is a tilde...it should be to the left of the 1 key, and accessible by SHIFT + `

amunra

amunra

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I had a problem like this before and what I did is I made the 1st hd(hd that has info you want) a slave for the computer that works, just make shure to set the jumpers to slave instead of master. Then you find the file you want and right click and hold while you drag it to the folder you want it in, then when you let up you will see make short cuts here, copy here, move here, cancle, click copy here or move here. Done

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
too much work for one file..... :tazz:

Ciara

Ciara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but when I try to copy the file I am getting the message 'File not found'. The file name is quite long, and is made up of several words. Unless I am typing incorrectly, but I've no way of finding out.

Although I haven't the file copied I have restarted the computer without the floppy and this is the exact message I am getting:

SEARCHING FOR BOOT RECORD FROM FLOPPY..NOT FOUND
SEARCHING FOR BOOT RECORD FROM IDE-O..OK

INVALID SYSTEM DISK
REPLACE THE DISK AND THEN PRESS ANY KEY

I feel so useless!!! I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Ciara

Advertisements

amunra

amunra

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
have you tried to boot it in safe mode?

Ciara

Ciara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
How do I do that? :tazz:

amunra

amunra

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Turn off the computer, press the power button and hold down the ctrl key untill you get a screen that has different modes you can boot in, it should be number 3, don't select safe mode command prompt only, select just safe mode and press enter.

Ciara

Ciara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've done that but all I'm getting the a:\ prompt
It's not loading Windows for me.

Thanks anyway,
c.

amunra

amunra

• PipPipPip