Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CONNECTIVITY

• Please log in to reply

bazza

bazza

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
LATEST HASSLE...KEEP GETTING MESSAGE SAYING " LOCAL AREA CONNECTION. ..LITTLE OR NO CONNECTIVITY".CLICKING ON ICON BRINGS UP A BOX SAYING..."PROBLEM OCCURED BECAUSE THE NETWORK DID NOT ASSIGN A NETWORK ADDRESS TO THE COMPUTER" IT THEN OFFERS TO REPAIR AND RESTORE IP ADDRESS. SOME TIMES THIS WORKS, OTHER TIMES NOT. I HAVE HEARD THAT THIS IS A BUG THAT COMES WITH WINDOWS SERVICE PACK TWO IN COMBINATION WITH XP. ANYBODY HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PROBLEM?

Edited by bazza, 20 September 2006 - 12:42 AM.

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
This could be virus related. Run a Virus and spyware scan and then if nothing is found wait for help from a tech.

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
hi

what type of network do you have? wireless, wired, router, no router?

scott

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi there,

Start with the basics. are you using an Internet Security suite or firewall? Have you restarted the internet connection? Is this the only PC you have having this problem? Are you using a Router?

Not everything is malware related, sometime the everyday software you run can be at fault. Somtimes equipment gets, for lack of a better term, confused. If this is an intermittent problem that reoccuurs at spuratic intervals then the modem/router or the NIC(network interface card) should be the first things to look at.

bazza

bazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I HAVE DONE A VIRUS CHECK..NO VIRUSES. I HAVE CABLE BROADBAND AND NO ROUTER. RESTARTING MODEM HELPS BUT PROBLEM RETURNS SOON. HOW CAN I CHECK THE NIC. WHAT PROBLEMS MIGHT THERE BE. HOW CAN I REMEDY THEM?

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
did you get any cds with the broadband package, these can install the connection for you

Edited by scott452, 20 September 2006 - 02:51 PM.

bazza

bazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
THANKS, BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THE CONNECTION IS ALREADY INSTALLED.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
We had several test for NIC's but they are not truly effective or accurate at determining wheter or not a NIC is good or not and actually only tell if the traffic through the card is overwhelming it. The only true way to test it is to replace it and see if the issue returns then it's not the NIC.

My best guess would be the modem is having a firmware or more than likely the device itself is having trouble maintaining the DHCP assignments at the lease renewal and doesn't do the assignment. Just an educated guess. I would first see if I could get the ISP to replace the modem.