Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My static IP address has changed: hijacked?

• Please log in to reply

Matt_T

Matt_T

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi there

I have broadband with ntl (a UK ISP) and they always offer static ip addresses.
I know what my IP usd to be and it had stayed the same for a long time.

Just lately I'm struggling with download sites that say I'm already downloading from them (when I'm not). On further checking my IP address has changed.

Checking it with various free online IP address checkers I've found most give the "new" address and just one gives the "old" one which I used to have, and want back.

Could some software have hijacked my IP address for others to use?
Am not techie enough to solve this alone.

Any help getting me back to how things were would be very welcome.

Cheers

Matt :whistling:

PS Regular spyware and virus scans haven't shown up anything lurking.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you called your ISP yet to confirm that you actually did have a static ip address before? it's possible that you just had a REALLY long lease (some ISPs will give you a "long lease" ip and claim that it's static)...how do you connect to the internet? describe the full setup

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi there

Thanks for the reply. I've done a bit more research and dug up a little more info.

It turns out that my "old" IP is there underneath but there is a Proxy Server at work. The Proxy Server is also run by NTL (my ISP) so I'm wondering (though I don't really understand) if it's some kind of local 'cache' server or something.

My set up is that I have a permanently on broadband connection through a cable connection (via a cable modem). It doesn't use my phone line.

How can we find out if there's a way to get back to using just my "old" IP address to connect to the net? I use Firefox btw.

Could this be a new development by NTL to reduce traffic or something? If so surely it will mean lots of people can no longer use download sites properly.

Let me know what extra info to give ... apols for my relative ignorance.

Thx

Matt :-)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

It turns out that my "old" IP is there underneath but there is a Proxy Server at work. The Proxy Server is also run by NTL (my ISP) so I'm wondering (though I don't really understand) if it's some kind of local 'cache' server or something.

if NTL is pushing all of your traffic through a proxy server...then it's something that you need to ask them about...especially if you yourself didn't choose to go through a proxy...a proxy server is basically a device that obfuscates (man i love that word) your actual ip so that people can't get direct access to it (sort of like putting your arms underneath the person in front of you's armpits and acting like you're him)...so basically if they're forcing your traffic through a proxy....then you'll have to see if they can...well..not do that

Lou1z

Lou1z

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
ntl doesn't give you a static ip. the dhcp server just offers a long lease which in effect gives you the same ip for months etc if you leave your modem on. if you turn it off for a day or so, your ip will change. you will possibly notice it change after outages also.
as for proxies, ntl use transparent proxies. if you don't set a proxy in your browser, ntl will still use a proxy server which is nearest to you.
proxies are there to cut down on traffic and make browsing faster. they can also mask your ip.

Edited by Lou1z, 07 October 2006 - 02:57 PM.