Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wiki suggested for better utility

• Please log in to reply

Nitpicker

Nitpicker

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
See the video at Removed for a clear explanation of the inherent problems with forums. Basically topics just get longer and the best stuff gets lost.

Wikipedia works great. If we had a wiki here, then the whole experience of a visitor could be continually improved. The worthwhile postings could be just plunked into the wiki and then others could refine what they say over time.

If you want to try it, I can even suggest a place to start.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I removed the link you posted.

The site that you link to appears to be nothing more than personal videos submitted by users in a debate fashion. I cannot find the specific video that you mention, however, since its just one person's opinion and nothing near fact, it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The first thing that you must understand is that you cant come into a community of forum dwellers and say "Hey, Look at me, Forums suck, and I have a better way". This does nothing but put the people here on the defensive and does absolutely nothing for your argument that you have a "better way".

The admin staff have long looked into the possibility of adding a "wiki" to GTG. If this ever did happen, it would in no way be a replacement for the current forum community. It would be filled with definitions of things to make explaining solutions easier.

People come here for personalized, one on one, top quality, free support. Taking away from the forum community takes away from that.

ScHwErV :whistling:

Nitpicker

Nitpicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for cleaning up my posting. I had no idea the link was offensive. There is only one video so you saw the one I mentioned. Most statements are only one person's view, so I'm unclear on the problem.

If I must understand that then I guess I remain a failure. I love forums and would never say they suck. I just said they have inherent problems. Not a radical position, I think. I did not suggest doing away with the forum format at all. Instead I suggested honoring and enhancing it by ADDING a way to celebrate the very best postings in the forums and make them more easily findable.

I didn't say "Look at me" but I guess you are right that I made people defensive, which was not my intent at all. I only bother to suggest improvements to things that already work well. This group of geeks has already helped me solve a very annoying problem. And I thank you folks for being so freely helpful.

I suppose that if you insist, a wiki can contain exactly what you want, but, as with a forum, they work pretty well in a well intentioned community of people with somewhat diverse interests without exacting control. That makes life more interesting to me.

You've been here a lot longer than I have, so maybe you know what people want. I admit that I have no proof of my presumption that people came to get help, not to use exactly one method to achieve that help.

I'm very sorry I offended, since my intention was to help the helpers help others even better.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wikis also have disadvantages you have to be very careful in the implementation and obviously the control factor is improtant here to ensure quality also a wiki just cant do what we need it to do to satisfy users with our current objectives although a wiki could possibly be used in future as an additional resource it adds an extra level of work and complexity and like ScHwErV said it would need the admins, mods and staff to decide and put work in.

Forums and wikis are two completely different things one can enhance the other but one could never replace the other and wikis like i said have alot of disadvantages as well.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
We have a Wiki... it's just empty. :whistling:

http://www.geekwiki.com

Only so much time in the day. :blink:

Nitpicker

Nitpicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip