Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Save or Download after installing Divx

• Please log in to reply

chac

chac

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi there everyone

I am having a small issue with my PC & wonder if someone can help me out please?

For some reason I cannot save Pics, Clips or download anything (just tried to download Quicktime unsuccessfully) to my computer , when I tried yesterday all my web browers windows closed down, but today I tried again, web browsers stayed open this time & the computer went throught the motions of saving but didnt actually save the pic or begin the dowload

I recently downloaded DivxBundle & the problems seem to have started there

I needed to instal Divex after downloading (from web) an episode of Stargate which wouldnt play on my real player without it.

Now I cannot seem to save/dowload anything

Also, I have to switch my firewall off before FF lets me use the internet

As you can gather I had no clue when it comes to computers

Anyone any magic soloutions :blink:

:whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which firewall have you got?

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you do not have an XP CD and are unable to borrow one, run the scan, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel.

If it kept asking for the XP CD then system files are missing

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Cheers Keith

The Firewall is 'Norton Personal Firewall' - Ran ok up until a couple of days ago

I will get on with the instruction syou have given

Thanks for your time :whistling:

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Cheers Keith

I have went through that, seems to have sped me computer up & saved me a load of disc space
:whistling: :blink:

Still cant download but I am gonna get a copy of XP & either reinstall completely or reinstal the parts I need

Again thanks for your time :help:

Oh also System Advisor told me to upgrade from 480mb of RAM to 512MB of RAM - 2 questions on that

Will adding 32mb of RAM make much difference
Is this something I can do myself of would I best getting an expert to do it

(Please remember I am a muppet when it comes to computers)

Edited by chac, 21 September 2006 - 05:43 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow a same version XP CD to do that, both sfc and a repair install will run with a borrowed CD, the repair uses your product key, not the disc product key

512MB is how tune up sees XP running well, you have 512 with onboard graphics using 32MB of it, not worth increasing the memory unless you want to

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks again Keith

Will see about getting a hold of a copy of XP

Cheers