Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help, XP Home File Sharing

• Please log in to reply

SlitNek

SlitNek

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok, i hate home! and i refuse to contribute to microsoft for pro or media center so as soon as i got my machines they werent 10min outside the box and they had a cracked copy of pro corp but now since WGA i cant get my machines off of sp1, leaving me no choice but to go back to the realy crapy version of home that i do have legit keys for

now with pro i would just go to advanced file sharing and steal the permissions from that server and give them all to me but since HOME SUX! i cant go to advanced file sharing i can only do simple and its not working

since i put these back on i have a file server that is WIDE OPEN they are no firewalls/AV/etc. running on this machine so anyone could grab what they want but with home i cannot get on this machine. i went through the firewall settings and selected exceptions for file sharing but still i cannot get on this machine......... does anyone know how to fix this garbage or am i just gunna run sp1 pro for the rest of my life?

Edited by SlitNek, 20 September 2006 - 04:56 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It's against the terms of use of this site to use illegal software, and we will not help people that use illegal software.

Topic closed.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Blair, I had therock247uk reopen this thread. The user proved in chat with Howtotell.com that the OS currently on his computer is legit.

-Ryan

SlitNek

SlitNek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
To get a little deeper into whts wrong i got to explain it a little better

imagine a regular home network with 1 computer that has 2 dirves shared will full permisions to everyone.

none of my machines that run home can get into either of thoes drives anymore, nothing has been changed on the machine containing thoes drives just the rest of the machines that access it, they are all running home again that they came with but it will not access them the error message reads "\\Computer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource."

now i tried turning off the windows firewall because it is useless but i also tried leaving the firewall on and going to exceptions and checking "file and printer sharing"

nothing seems to work with home ed. the way i see it home is stupid proof but it takes an extreme tech to troubleshoot through this junk

Edited by SlitNek, 20 September 2006 - 10:02 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I would error on the side of caution here and go with Blair.. I can get you half a dozen hacks that will give you a legit message on the HowTo Tell site at Microsoft !!!

Wanna bet that's what the poster did !!!

Murray

SlitNek

SlitNek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I did no such thing, i can easily go back to a cracked version of pro OS and have no problem with networking these machines but im trying to keep it legit for now and get it working withought using the shortcut of installing pro and being happy instead i am doing it the hard way and need some help with this junk OS that they should have never ditributed to the public or excuse me an OS with 1/2 the features so when you go from pro to home you can get angry and strap plastic explosives to all the machines you come across that have it installed or beter yet lets just crank it with a shotgun and be done, does this comment satisfy you?

yeah im angry... im angry because the only problem i have to deal with when running a cracked OS is WGA and when i try to make it legit i have 100 things i got to fix befor i can even make use of my computer. I would like to get this working but if its gunna fight me the whole way i will just go back for now untill i buy a mac or finnish learning the besics of linux

and not to mention i can just use AutoPatcher for all the MS updates minus the sp's that i can d/l seperatly
and if i were to go as far as running a hack that will give me a legit message on the HowTo Tell site at Microsoft i would find alternate means of fixing the problem

Edited by SlitNek, 20 September 2006 - 11:37 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. just re-read your thread and see that you are on Home rather than the cracked Pro version..

Murray

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
In XP Home you can only join a workgroup, not a domain.
Johanna