Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A hard drive switch

• Please log in to reply

loco4ever

loco4ever

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
If a hard drive crash on my dell 4800 inspirion , I am taking a hard drive from another working computer of mine and replacing it do I have to download drivers and all that stuff for the dell which I am putting in the working hard drive in and taking out the old crash one :whistling: :blink: :help: ??

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You will have all kinds of problems doing it this way. Windows will find all new hardware and will prompt you with a lot of windows to install the drivers for the new hardware. When you are done you will still have 2 sets of drivers that may conflict with each other and cause even more problems. If you do not have one you will probably need to go thru dell to see if you can get a system CD that has the windows OS on the cd. If dell does this i would suggest you reformat the drive and install windows on the blank hard drive. This may not be something you want to try doing. It will take some work to get running right.

SRX660

loco4ever

loco4ever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
OK I have the operating reinstallation CD ..Do I have to get of fine the driver CD? :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I cannot find either a inspiron or a dimensions computer that is a 4800 model. Are you sure what model you have? Drivers can usually be downloaded from the support.dell.com website.

SRX660