Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Cable Modem

• Please log in to reply

OnYx

OnYx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a 2mb cable connection supplied by NTL (UK) that comes with standard USB and ethernet connections.

Now, I currently have it connected to my on-board usb slot on the back of my case. The thing is, when I reset my machine, it doesn't pickup that the modem is connected to the USB port... I have to then hard reset my cable modem everytime I start windows... which isn't ideal at all...

I'm going to try ethernet see if that works any better I just found it strange that it used to work but only now since i've upgraded my machine am I having problems...

One possibility is that my mobo doesn't have enough power, SLI says minimum of 300w PSU which I think is an understatement... I currently have a relatively cheap 350w 24-pin ATX2 so could it be that I dont have enough physical power for the USB ports?

I hope i've answered my own question as a new PSU is relatively cheap in comparison to my new hardware.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Most of the time cable modems work much better with a ethernet connection there seems to be much less problems,

Let me know how you make out but maybe post in networking folks over there may have seen this before

Rick