Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive crashed...ummmm :(

• Please log in to reply

kamikazestyle

kamikazestyle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok here i go...

the other night my computer was acting a little slow, so i went down to start and restarted it. it locked on the windows shutting down screen so i rebooted with the reset (or holding down the power button, i cannot fully remember which one). anyways when it restarted i got a message saying c0000218 {registry file failure} . i checked online for some fixes and tried the repair through the windows cd. it did checkdisk and nothing happened. this time when i restarted the computer i got this message ntldr is missing (i know that's not good). when i go into the repair option for the windows xp disc i try to do some things recommended from the microsoft site, but i am locked out with an "access denied" message.

yesterday i went out and bought a new SATA drive, spent over 6 hours trying to get this thing installed. i could finally get it formatted and recognized by the computer, but when i try to install windows it is not recognized. i have tried everything. i did the whole f6 thing with the drivers, i tried letting it go by itself. i put it in my room mates computer and it is automatically recognized, but the windows disc will not find it. so i am through with the SATA drive, i am thinking of replacing that with an external and copying my files over that i need and just buying another hard drive since the main one is dead.

NOW...

i hooked my broken hard drive up to my room mates computer to make sure my files were still intact. it went to checkdisk and wouldnt let me out. it kept going through files for about an hour, maybe more. i turned on the computer this morning and i only have about 30% of those files thanks to checkdisk. i am not so concerned about the hard drive being fixed, i just want my files. actually i need my files. i was wondering what options i have as far as data recovery? should i take it someplace? do you recommend any software that does the trick? i did a search and came up with a lot, i tried a program called "recover my files" but it doesnt seem to have full amount of file types i use in its search. i use a lot of adobe products, but some others as well. the majoriy of the files i am looking to recover are adobe illustrator, adobe photoshop, adobe after effects, adobe indesign, 3dsmax, and rhino. any help would be greatly appreciated.

my plan was to back this stuff up next week since i am trying to move and its getting very frustrating, but just my luck it crashes a week before.

thanks,
keith

Advertisements

kamikazestyle

kamikazestyle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
picked up a program called Spinrite which i hear is one of the best out there. now the first run took 18 hours and fixed stuff, but i am unable to run windows still. (this time i am missing hall.dll) my room mates computer again shows the same amount of files, but still has a lot more used space on the hd.

i have done a bit of research on checkdisk erasing files and it seems like it happens pretty often, but yet to figure out how to fix it.

i would really appreciate help in this matter.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
SpinRite 6 is about the best out there at recovering data. I've used it for a few years with good results for the most part. Nothing is fool proof. Winternals Administrator Pack is still availabe but it isn't cheap and since they recently sold there products to Microsoft I'm not sure of the new licensing costs but EDR Commander is another good tool. http://www.winternal...inistratorsPak/.

You might get some good leads at this WIKI.

Edited by silverbeard, 22 September 2006 - 10:42 AM.