Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphics driver causing media center error

• Please log in to reply

honeyweb

honeyweb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all, I'm having a few problems and would be grateful if anyone could help me with the latest one. Basically, my graphics card (radeon x550) recently bit the dust after only nine months of use. I contacted support for a replacement and asked for it to be an upgrade. They sent a radeon x1300 which we installed with the relevent drivers two days ago. As soon as the drivers were installed I started getting an error message 'Media Center Receiver Service has encountered a problem and needs to close'. If i click on 'send' or 'don't send' (for the error report) it just keeps popping up. If I leave it on the screen and move it out of the way I'm able to use the PC reasonably normally but a new message will pop up approximately every 7 minutes (I currently have at least 50 of them at the bottom of the screen!)

My PC support guys have no idea what to do other than wipe the HDD and reinstall the software which we really don't want to do. Can anyone help me? Please!

Edited by honeyweb, 21 September 2006 - 11:30 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi honeyweb...

Are you running XP ME?

Let's try something real quick...disable the MCE service. Click Start, then Run, type services.msc and click "Ok".

Locate and double click on Media Center Receiver Service. Under the "General" tab, from the "Startup Type" drop down menu, select "Disable", and "Apply" the change.

Reboot and see if the message appears.

wannabe1

honeyweb

honeyweb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yes I am running XP ME. I've just tried what you suggested and so far so good, there's no error messages, which is a relief - thank you so much for that, they were a driving me mental! Is that a permanent solution or will I need to re-enable to use media center properly?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is not a particularly important service. See how your machine runs with it disabled and if you experience any other problems, let me know. Most machines will run fine with MCE disabled.

honeyweb

honeyweb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Fantastic! I can't believe it was that simple - thank you!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure! :whistling: