Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Qwest 7 megs advertised.... 1.6 achieved. ( HELP)

• Please log in to reply

RHCPbalzary

RHCPbalzary

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I recently purchased the Qwest DSL 7 megs package. I went from 256 k to this. ANyways The speeds that im getting seems like I could get a little better. My download speed is about.... 160 KB/s average. Anyways I heard I can configure something and it might help, how do I go about doing that? the RWIN and stuff like that.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I would contact Qwest. All Internet service is Best effort by the terms of use. The engineered speeds are obtainable but the factors involved in providing service sometimes makes it difficult to maintain top performance. My ISP says 50% is acceptable but they also look into problems when speeds get below 70% if it is showing up in their network.In other words If the specified statistic for your port don't meet the acceptable parameters they will do the best they can to fix it. I'm not familiar with Qwest or if cable or DSL but 1.6 Mbps is not acceptable in my mind and what I've found with my ISP is "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." Broadband providers have competition in most markets and want to keep every customer they can so if you complain enough and threaten to leave for the other company they generally do what it takes to keep you paying the bill. A bad reputation for service is death in the Internet provider business.