Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot log in

• Please log in to reply

bullet231

bullet231

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,
I accidently deleted the winlogon values in my registry but go into regedit. Now i cannot log into my account where i have important files. I want to access those files what can i do ? can i just put in my xp cd and repair my current version if not can u provide some suggestions plz

thanks steven

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bullet231...

Did you, by chance, back up the registry (or at least that key) before you did the edit? If not, do you remember the values?

wannabe1

bullet231

bullet231

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello wanabe1,

i couldnt not back it up as it was my little cousin deleted all the values while i was out of lunch , now i cannot get into my account even when i sign in as administrator and leave the password blank. It just logs out automaticly can i just insert my xp cd and say repair installation 2 fix it.

Thanks for ur reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
So you can't log into the Safe Mode Administrator Account either? Or have you tried Safe Mode?

bullet231

bullet231

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am not sure how 2 go into safe mode in xp i only no how 2 do it me . i cant check either as it is my cousins comp that has this problem . Can u tell me how 2 get into safe mode and if that doesnt work is there an alternative

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Keep tapping F8 as soon as you press the power button

Some PC's use F5

bullet231

bullet231

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
is tehre an alternative if it does not work in safe mode like just repairing the installation using hte windows xp cd

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It would be preferrable to recover the user accounts through the Safe Mode Admin account. I'm not all that sure that the repair wouldn't leave you in the same position you're in now...or worse.

IF you have the same version XP cd or the cd that came with the machine and the product key for the installed operating system, the repair is an available option to try should booting into the Safe Mode Admin account prove impossible.

bullet231

bullet231

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i have a sony vaio so it came with a vaio recovery disk will i still have all my files if i just use the recover disk and install it thanks for the suggestion wannabe 1

Edited by bullet231, 22 September 2006 - 01:24 PM.