Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Access Windows Update & Some Sites

• Please log in to reply

azpaige

azpaige

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, this is a first time post, was recommended by a friend to this site. Not sure if I have posted this in the right section, apologies if not.

Recently while fixing the draw on my PC desk, I accidently unplugged my PC while it was still running. Result was that it wouldn't turn on when I attempted to restart. Gave to a friend who managed to get it started, but said it took a long time to start up (like 15mins). Everything A-OK, or so we thought until I got it home. I have 3 hard drives, and when I started it only two showed up on screen. Restarted a second time, but again only 2 showed, this time a different one. Each time the drive running windows worked. Tried restarting a third time and could not get it to run. After much cursing and fiddling around with cables, followed by more cursing, we removed the 2 iffy drives, restart no problem. Have sent those 2 drives back to the shop. Here's where it gets annoying, did a new install, all good until I try to access windows update. I get the following....

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Well I did all the suggested things on screen but to no avail, I can't even change my Internet security level below Medium, it says this level is recommended for this area, choose this level, then resets itself to that level. I also noticed that my security levels were already set to custom level straight after the new install (don't know if this is normal or not).

I am running only one hard drive now with Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 built in

The only changes I made to system since I stuffed it up are....

replaced my old worn out Lite-On DVD-R burner with a new Pioneer one
and
Changed my ISP's.

I've done 3 new installs with full format, but still no change. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry my post is so long, but I don't no where I went wrong

Thanks
Az.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Go into Admin Tools and make sure the following services are running:
Automatic Update (set to automatic)
BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)
Event log

MS Updates require Active X to be permitted, and a medium security setting should permit that. Try putting the update site in your "trusted" zone.
Johanna

azpaige

azpaige

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
All that already on

azpaige

azpaige

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Also tried with and without Update site in my trusted folder.

Thanks

azpaige

azpaige

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
If anyone knows how I can fix this would be awesome, can't do lots of stuff because I can't dL the drivers required. Any java script:emoticon help appreciated.

java script:emoticon(':whistling:', 'smid_14')
:blink:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You are saying you cannot use IE for just Windows Update only? Or no sites display in IE? Are you online for sure? How do you connect to the Internet? You have tried the repair connection, I suppose if you have reinstalled Windows 3 times. Hmmm...

If you open a command window and type:
ping www.geekstogo.com
what happens?

Johanna

azpaige

azpaige

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oooh Wee!! Just fixed my problem. Thank you for your efforts, muchly appreciated.

Just a quick recap for future reference. Had done new install, and could surf the net, except for secure sites such as Update, MSN etc.

Never had this problem before on a new install. I was starting to get a little irritated because I couldn't listen to my music (stereo stolen, no driver for my soundcard). Got me to thinking, So I visited the nVidia website and DL the driver required (took a while to work out which one). Had sound again, and whilst flicking through my stuuf, I noticed the little yellow Updates shield had popped up. Suddenly I'm back in the game again.

All sites available again, turns out I had to go to get my drivers elsewhere first. This has never been the case before, I've always just done a new install and gone straight to Updates, no problems.

Hopefully this may help someone else, or it may just seem like I'm an idiot for not doing it earlier, but I'm still learning. And with the excellent help at this site I'm learning even more. Again thank you, and keep up the good work.

Az Paige

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Good old Device Manager!
Thank you for posting how you fixed your problem...you never know who your experience will help someday.
Johanna

azpaige

azpaige

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry guys, but I've got the same problem again. Don't know what has happened, one minute I can access Windows Update and NineMSN again, and then I can't. Unfortunately I was just on the way out when I got it working and was unable to DL my updates. Any ideas? Nothing changed in between, I just turned off PC

azpaige

azpaige

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay still got the problem, but have discovered that if I delete any old updates, windows will prompt me to automatically DL them again. But can't get access to Updates site, MSN or any similar sites still. I'm completely baffled, I've searched the whole net and only come across a couple of instances. Any help would be great, even minor.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
azpaige-
How is it going? Why are you deleting updates you have already downloaded? How exactly are you doing that? Do you have your computer set to automatically do your updating for you, or do you want it set to manual?
Johanna

Jeff1

Jeff1

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:whistling: No spam on the board, please.

Johanna

Edited by Johanna, 05 October 2006 - 05:33 PM.

azpaige

azpaige

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry for the slow reply, work work work, you know how it is...
Anyway...I just deleted a couple of security updates through the Add/Remove programs function, I was just rying to find out whether or not I would be prompted to re-download them again. I was, I did, and I still can't get anywhere (secure sites...NineMSN, Microsoft, WWE.com etc).

Thanks

azpaige

azpaige

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ok, another thing just noticed, I have my home page set as ninemsn.com.au but it keeps changing to this

http://www.microsoft...p...&ar=msnhome

also I typed in my home page addres into the address bar and after a few minutes it actually loaded up, but if I google it, and then try to go by the link it fails. Also when I'm on NineMSN, and click on the hotmail tab it just sort of stops and says this on the bottom of the page

opening page login.srf?id=2&svc=mail&cbid=24325&msppjph=1&lc=3081 at login..live.com ...

don't know if that means anything, but that's all I'm getting

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you get your home page up, click tools, internet options, click use current, click apply, close the browser, does it open the page you want