Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Onboard Sound/Audio device not 100%

• Please log in to reply

misterc

misterc

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi...again!!! New installation, new day.....new problem!!

I reinstalled my XP Home edition and everything was going fine until after I installed SP2, it was when I rebooted my PC and noticed the introduction audio was jumpy and intermitent.

Audio device is Realtek AC'97 (driver version 5.10.0.5250)

I opened device manager and chose the update driver option and the wizard connected to the web and downloaded and installed the latest driver.
After I restarted my PC I had no sound and when opening the device manager again I was told that the device was not working and a message saying (Code 10).

I then chose the Rollback Driver option and ended back at square one with the dodgy start up sound.
The rest of my sound/audio on my PC sounds in order...I even played the sample music on WMA10 and it was perfect.

Is the problem with the sound device or maybe just the start-up audio file itself? and why doesn't the new and latest driver update work?.....what is (Code 10)?

Hope to hear from some clued up person soon. many thanks in advance, MisterC.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Code 10

If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key (possibly F2) until it enters set up, look for BIOS defaults and load those, press F10, press enter, type Y and press enter