Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not start in safe mode - suspect Trojan, Fatal Blue scre

• Please log in to reply

Annarie

Annarie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am writing on behalf of my daughter. She received two new emails in Outlook this morning and went to see who they were from. she did not open them, but caret began to madly scroll through emails, without stop. The fatal blue screen came on. Earlier someone had tried to send her an email containing a Tojan virus. She did not open this.

She tried to reboot but was unable. She then used her boot disk and tried to open in safe mode but got the message "unmountable boot volume" and then that booting would do damage to her hard drive.

She is in the process of sending in all her applications to vet school this weekend and needless to say is in a panic. Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,
Annarie

E-mail removed

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Annarie...

Can you tell me a little more about the machine? Is it a branded machine such as Dell or HP? If it is, what make and model number is it? This will help me determine what options we may have with the installation cd you have. Does the machine have a floppy drive?

wannabe1

Annarie

Annarie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Wannabe1,
The computer is a Dell Dimension 4600 running XP Home Edition. I gave her my XP Professional disk to use to run diagnostics and am waiting to here from her as to what the results are. Her data is all resident on a slave disk.

Thanks for the help.