Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Saving customized toolbars

• Please log in to reply

Nijntje

Nijntje

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Got a bit of a problem here, or atleast quite the annoyance.
I had created a set of toolbars different from the standard set, removing useless buttons like "paste a URL-link" and such but when I close down Word and start it up it's all back to how it was before the customizing =/

Is there an easy fix to this problem? Any way I can save my own set of toolbars?

This might be a stupid question but I'm really quite clueless here, I'm used to programs to automatically save my settings.

Advertisements

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hello Nijntje :whistling:

Which version of Word are you using?

Nijntje

Nijntje

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm using Microsoft Word 2003, standard edition.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi Nijntje and thanks for your reply.

This problem is typically seen if you have Adobe Acrobat 7.0 (Professional or Standard) or Adobe Acrobat Elements 7.0 installed on your computer. Apparently, Word no longer saves your macros, preferences, or custom settings. Word saves all custom settings to the normal.dot file. Installing Acrobat or Acrobat Elements 7.0 can prevent Word from automatically saving these changes. Updating to 7.0.8 allows the preferences to be saved as expected.

You have a couple of options available though.

Do one of the following options:

Option 1: Install the Acrobat 7.0.8 update.

If you have Acrobat 7.0, choose Help > Check For Updates Now to install the update or download the update from Adobe .

Option 2: Manually save macros, preferences, and custom settings in Word.

If you infrequently create custom settings in Word, press the Shift key and choose File > Save All each time you create a custom setting to ensure that it is available in your other Word documents.

Option 3: Add the Save All button to the File menu and it use each time you create a customized setting in Word.

If you frequently create custom settings in Word, add the Save All button to the Tool bar, and then click it each time you create a macro, preference, or custom setting.

To add the Save All button to the Tool bar in Word:

1. Choose Tools > Customize.

2. Click the Commands tab.

3. Select File from the list of categories, and then select Save All from the list of commands.

4. Click Close.

Give this a try and let me know what happens. :whistling:

Joe

Nijntje

Nijntje

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did what you recommended and updated Acrobat to 7.0.8, and it works great!
Now it automatically saves all of my settings, like it should.

Thanks a lot for the help :whistling:

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi Nijntje.

You're welcome!

I am glad that your problem is now resolved. :whistling:

Joe