Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 instalation help

• Please log in to reply

Soul Of Cerberus

Soul Of Cerberus

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, I'm not sure if this goes here or in hardware so please don't kill me...

I just bought a computer at a pawn shop over her and it does'nt have an operating system in it so okay I went and bought a windows 98 cd for it when I came home I realized my computer doesnt have a cd drive it only has floppy..

So is there any way that you can put an operating system on a computer that only has a floppy drive?

Or would you need an exterrnal cd drive and if you do need a cd drive being that there is no operating system will the bios be able to configure?

I need help otherwise I'm screwed a $100 because I can't return none of this... and selling it back to the pawnshop will only give me half of what I payed for it..

Thanks for the help in advanced!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the case have room for a CD / DVD ROM Drive

The link is for the price only

http://www.superware...BLACK/p/1481289

Soul Of Cerberus

Soul Of Cerberus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
yeah, it does but the image of that cd drive looks way to thick but if i get a internal cd drive does it configure to itself? I just got off the phone been on it all day looking for external drives here in town don't feel like ordering off the computer and they are way too expensive for me for this little guy hes not worth it i just need to do some work on it out of town when i go its just for papers but i dont want to spend a fortune on him.. whatever so I i can get a toshiba internal drive here in town but she wants to much for it I thgink i'll try to haggle with her oh by the way my computer is one of those toshiba satelites laptop the big bulky grey ones so its pretty old style.. so she has a drive for a satelite i'll see if i can get it so all i have to do is pop it in and its ready?

Thanks for the help really appreciate it~

PS. would also a laptop like this hold windows xp? I would rather have that on it but i'm not sure how much memory etc xp takes and one more thing.. where can I get drivers for it I cant find them anywhere on the internet.. dows the 98 cd have drivers?

Edited by Soul Of Cerberus, 23 September 2006 - 10:27 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the Toshiba site for drivers, the site could also confirm whether you can fit a ROM drive and install XP

Then it's a balance between what you would lose by returning it, against what it will cost to get it running.

98 won't have many drivers

Pman

Pman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Depending on how old it is, it likely doesn't have enough memory to run xp, unless that is the only program you have on it.

CD drives get cheaper all the time... I didn't look up the prices here... but here's a link to toshibe cd drives for laptops... you might be able to find a used one, but I doubt it.

http://www.prioritye...ba-cdrw-dvd.htm

Soul Of Cerberus

Soul Of Cerberus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Man thanks for all the help guys don't know too much about computers all I know how to do is get on them and and mess with my work files and programs but you guys are alot of help

thank you~