Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network passwords losing after reboot?!

• Please log in to reply

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I use a local network based on one router and two 8 port switches, total 10 computers connected. Recently after some useless experiments with WinXP on my main machine I get back to Win2k SP2 and each time I access another network machine drive it ask me for a password! :whistling:

After typing it, it get remembered, tough - but only untill next reboot...!

Could anyone tell me, witch services/settings/dll's could affect that, please? I run a HIGHLY optimized these XP machines services, but the Win2k SP2 machin machine has not yet get optimized services or anything....

Please :blink:

Edited by trodas, 18 November 2006 - 05:27 AM.

Advertisements

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Posted Image

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Looks like using batch file with:

net use \\server\D /user:trodas xxx

...do the trick, but what I can use in case the machine has just empty pass? I tried:

net use \\duron\D /user:ivanka

...but it just asked me to specify a pass... :whistling: Any help with this one, or perhaps an explaination why I seems to remember these logins was saved in SP3? :blink: :help:

Other than that, the batch file is kinda easy. I just added it up into the "Run at start" Startup menu folder and with details set in the icon to run as minimized and as workaround it seems to be pretty easy to do and working well :rofl:

But I seems to remember that my Win2k SP3 remembered passwords to other computers - oh, wait, we might used just logins with empty passwords at the time?
But clearly ti remember that - maybe I used account trodas and same trodas accounts are on network drivers? Nah, my bro and sis machines has not trodas logins, or perhaps we create them? :)
I don't remember now.

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Oh, the solution for empty pass was kind of simple:

net use \\duron\D /user:ivanka ""

:help: :rofl: :whistling:

Still, can't W2k really remember these infos? And even SP3? And if SP3 do, what about a borrow the dll file(s) responsible from them and use them? After all, my server run Win2kSP3 and it DOES remember these login stuff, even on the request are not the XP-like remember check... :) ... :blink: