Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection problems, no taskbar/icons.

• Please log in to reply

DaveRosenthal

DaveRosenthal

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Howdy. This is coming from a computer noob, so please take it easy on me. :whistling:

A couple of days ago my internet started acting up, while using internet explorer sites would only load after clicking refresh about 20 times. When I logged in to games I had problems connecting to the servers, but after I tried connecting many times I could get in, and have low ping and everything running smoothly. I started to realize that maybe it was a virus, so I ran Panda Titanium but nothing showed up. The next day my internet seemed to be running fine, but I wasn't sure if I had a virus or something so I tried to look into the matter further.
I downloaded Spyware doctor, ran it, and found 107 cases of spyware which Panda did not pick up, as well as one case of WorldAntiSpy (I think thats what it was called). So I ran Spyware doctor in safe mode, cleaned up those, and logged back into regular windows, tried opening internet explorer, but it closed on me seconds after opening.
I had a friend tell me to get Symantec, I got it and ran it in safe mode. Symantec found a virus called desktop.hijack.b, and said that it deleted it. I got back on the internet in regular windows and opened internet explorer, googling the virus to find out what it was. The link that I clicked in google made my computer crash. I restarted it and there was no taskbar or icons on my desktop, just my wallpaper ( which had previously been replaced by a white screen for quite a long time, but I made no worry of it). When I get to the wallpaper I can't do anything, can't open the taskmanager or anything, I'm stuck.
I can reboot in safe mode, but I have no clue whats going on. Is there anyway to repair it on my own, or do I get stuck with bringing it into a repair shop?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press the ctrl + alt + delete keys together, if you get task manager, click file, new task, type explorer.exe and then press enter

DaveRosenthal

DaveRosenthal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
As I said, can't get to taskmanager :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
ctrl + alt + delete keys together should have got it

Have you got the XP CD

DaveRosenthal

DaveRosenthal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ctrl + alt + delete isn't working?

I might have the XP CD's around here somewhere.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you tried to use the windows button on your keyboard

its between ctrl and alt then use arrows to navigate around computer