Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuttering?

• Please log in to reply

unclepickle1

unclepickle1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Every few minutes my computer will freeze for between 2-10 seconds. The hard drive light will go on like it's processing something and freeze whatever I'm doing. It does it more with more stressful programs like Counter Strike, but will do it while idle. It also seems to follow an exact pattern. While I was playing CS one time I noticed it did it for 8 seconds every minute or so. People have suggested I get a new hard drive or increase my RAM but I really want to avoid getting new hardware. I've been considering reinstalling Windows but I don't want to do that until I get confirmation that that will help from someone who has had this problem. I have an Alienware Area 51 5500 with 1024 MB RAM. Has this happened to anyone and can you help me?

Edited by unclepickle1, 23 September 2006 - 03:17 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. When did this start? Have you made any changes to your system recently?

unclepickle1

unclepickle1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's been happening for as long as I can remember and I haven't made any changes.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
can you please provide more detail :

cpu: intel/amd and how fast
memory: 1gig
hard drive: total size and how much free space

Have you done preventive maintenance? Try using canned air to blow out the pc, especially power supply, cpu, and video card fans. Have you Defraged the hard drive? Have you tried running a full checkdisk on your hard drive?

unclepickle1

unclepickle1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
intel pentium 4
307 gigs memory, 269 free
I just recently cleaned my computer with compressed air, I do that biyearly
I've defragged many times and ran chkdsk. ChkDsk says it fixed some problems but nothing's changed.

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I pitty the fool that bought an Alienware computer. (Don't take that personal though).

Alienware computers have heat problems. It's a nice eye-candy design, but the design sucks for heat transport. I can say with 80% certainty that it's the heat prpoblem.

Buying a new computercase is sufficient. You don't need all new hardware.
btw, this is based on own experience.
I had an Alienware computer, but I didn't like the 50 degrees celcius at all times, even in idle mode. So I wrecked the case and gave it some breathing room in a hamstercage, the maximum heat produced is now 38-41 degrees.

I can almost guarantee it's heat, that's what I want to tell you.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summarya as

Look on the right for the summary

Click on Report and then qucik report. It will prompt you to choose a file type. Please choose txt.

Click [color="#3333FF"]save to a file

by default it stores the reports in c:\program files\everest\reports

Reply to the post, click browse (listed below the text input window, and select the report. Click add this attachment.

This will allow me to see most of your detailed system information and allow me to make some recomendations. You may have a heat issue as well. Once you post a reply here I can provide instructions on how to determine your themeral readings.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Install speed fan. It will place an icon on your desktop once installed. Just launch it and look at the info it provides. Tempeture and voltages are what we need to look at.