Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Decoder missing

• Please log in to reply

shalhou2

shalhou2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all. I have used Geeks to Go in the past and you guys have helped a lot so I'm hoping that I've come to the right place again!

A few months back, my computer crashed and I lost all the information from it and had to reinstall Windows (XP). A dell rep came and installed a new hard drive and motherboard, so I'm pretty sure it was the only alternative.

However, since then, everything works fine except I cannot play DVDs on my computer. I do have the DVD drive, but it seems I am missing a DVD Decoder. I've looked it up, and it seems that by default, Windows does not come with this. Also, I've noticed that in order to get one, you need to pay for it.

2 part question..... 1) Is there any alternative to buying a DVD decoder to watch DVD's? I know there are some 15-day trials and such, but I'm looking for something more permanent, and 2) If there aren't any alternatives, what would be the best way/best decoder to purchase?

Hopefully there are some good answers, thanks!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Good link for all things video is at http://www.afterdawn.com/
Go to software and see video players at
http://www.afterdawn.../video_players/
The Klite codec pack uses windows media player classic and is free. I use it to play mpg, avi, ram etc. I am sure it will play dvds too. There are others too.

shalhou2

shalhou2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tech Staff -
I went to afterdawn.com and downloaded the Klite pack and bravo! it works great. I'm able to play DVD's with the "Media Classic Player" and can't thank you enough.