Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"flipping" display vertically

• Please log in to reply

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
More specifically, I want to turn an old system into a very basic machine for simple stuff like word processing, web surfing and the works. I have the perfect 15" LCD for it, but because of size constraints with where I want it (with a 15" even go figure) the display has to be upside down.

The chipset is very old, not supported anymore. I believe it's SiS 600 or something (don't try looking it up because that's probably wrong.)

I was wondering if there was any way to flip the display vertically. Operating system doesn't really matter, for its uses it could be Linux or Windows, and no it's not in the drivers.

Edited by MNOB07, 23 September 2006 - 05:06 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The only thing i have seen is that you can flip the display if you are running a Nvidia video card. The video software will let you flip the display up to 270 degrees. I think Nvidia included this with the 40 series drivers which came with the old Geforce 440 video cards.

SRX660

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Some of the older chipsets would also let you flip the screen by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Down Arrow keys together.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Yea I have an ATI card can do that too, but unfortuneatly I don't have any other grpahics card than the SiS integrated to use with it.

I don't know about the Ctrl + Alt + Down can you be more specific? How does that work and with what operating system? It seems like it would be a video driver feature. I really don't know much about it but if it doesn't work are there other options?

Edited by MNOB07, 23 September 2006 - 06:45 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think this will only work in Windows and is chipset dependent, but you do it just like Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open Task Manager. If the chipset supports the command, it will flip upside down using Ctrl + Alt + Down Arrow or flip on it's side using Ctrl + Alt + Left or Right Arrow.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
It's not working :whistling:

the latest drivers that I could find are installed, and there is no option in driver settings.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
This could help possibly.....
http://www.potschi.d...aperswitch.html
the url is misleading but it does offer the name of a few progs that seems to be able to flip displays.
Hope that helps

MNOB07

MNOB07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
And help it did! While it didn't have exactly what I was looking for, it was the first lead that got me this:

http://www.viewsonic...d...oduct&key=8

"Pivot" software. So that's what it's called! The above link is an app that rotates your display by 90 degrees... If anyone else happens to want to do this, all I had to do was install it, create a shortcut to the winflip.exe, attach "-180" to the end of the target url (outside of the quotation marks) like this:

Posted Image

so clicking on that shortcut will activate the 180 degree rotation, basically flipping it vertically! Just threw that shortcut into the "Startup" folder and it flips right when Windows is loaded!

Thank You :whistling: