Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dlls missing from Explorer caused by microsoft network

• Please log in to reply

SueAnne

SueAnne

• Pip
  • 4 posts
MSN does not work on my desktop because 2 dll files are missing - The guy from MSN said they did it because my registered product key does not match myversion of XP on my computer. How can I change the key without re-installing?

Advertisements

SueAnne

SueAnne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Can anyone help? Any ideas would be appreciated. I don't want to re-format and install XP again over 2 dll files! Has anyone run into anything similar?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you installed XP, did you use the product key on the PC case

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

SueAnne

SueAnne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I had my computer repaired and gave the guy my cd which apparently he did not use. He used an OEM version, which worked fine for two years. Microsoft informed me of this last spring. I have the software but it is not the one on my computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use your CD to run sfc /scannow then see how it is