Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I re-installed my Os (XP) and want to recover images from a folder

• Please log in to reply

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I had some kinda virus that wouldnt let (me) do anything execpt re-install my os and then i did. It works fine now but im wondering on how to recover some photos from a folder that was on my desk-top.
Any help is appreciated, are there any free programs to help me. And if now what would i buy.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Insane Guy X
You should not need to buy any software
Step 1 try this
Take ownership
You are best using Internet explorer to vie this page.
If this does not work post back
Cheers
Peterm

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
im kinda confused prob because i wasnt clear (sorry if thats the case, or im dumb). I had a folder call pictures with various sub-folders in it. I re-installed xp and then now have nothing. So im wondering how to recover those lost files. I don't understand how to take ownership of a file i dont know how to access.

And.......THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS FRIEND! BECAUSE I"M LOST ON HOW THIS IS DONE lol

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok lets see. It is not that the folder is not giving you access it is the folder is empty. If yes go start>search>Pictures music or video> click on pictures or photos >click on search

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
1) Uhh what i mean is, i had my computer.

2) I got a virus.

3) I'm Dumb so i re-install my os since my computer is stuck in a log on shut-down virus loop.

4) I have no access to any of my old folders and files that were on my desktop, since reinstalling my os maked them go bye bye. How would i go about any of these suggestions? ( i tryed a few searches and nada, but i dont know how to do a search that looks for things i used to have readily available)

Edited by Insane Guy X, 24 September 2006 - 02:48 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
When you re installed did you reformat? If yes there it is gone.
If no then Click on start click on search and use that to find files.
It is possible to use some programs to recover from a reformat.
But you have to cross your fingers with them

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It will be possible to get third party-software and do a sector search, but this software usually isn't cheap and there are strictly no guarantees.

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
im not sure if i reformated, i assume yes if just putting the disk in and using default settings reformats. ( i dont know if you know either)

I did the re-install because i didnt want to pay someone to fix it, and im not that good with computers so all i could do was re-install my os, i knew i prob would lose everything but owell

THANKS FOR GIVNG ME THE KNOWLEDGE I WAS LOOKING FOR! i now know its probably beyond my skills.
So unless you've got anything else to say thanks a bunch for the help

Edited by Insane Guy X, 24 September 2006 - 04:12 AM.

tunin

tunin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hit there,

Use File Scavenger, I think it will do the trick for you...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Insane Guy X
The default for windows install is to format the drive.
You can try some programs to get file back.
For reference purpose in case you have this problem again.
1) We should be able to get you going no matter what the virus, Even if its just enough to save your data.
2) How to reinstall without loosing your data
How to repair windows and keep data.
3) Always Backup and burn the back up file to cd/dvd or at least always copy imporant files
pics etc to cd/dvd.
I know it is after the fact but this might prepare you for the future.
This is a freebie if you want to try it. I have NOT tried it the choice is yours.
Just make sure you have any new data saved to cd/dvd
Unformat
If you do use this please let me know how it goes. If you need a hand with using it let me know.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 24 September 2006 - 04:10 PM.

PlatinumMOTO

PlatinumMOTO

• Pip
  • 4 posts
you could use something like testdisk or FINDNTFS given that your partion was infact a NTFS

testdisk: http://www.cgsecurit...stDisk_Download

FINDNTFS: http://www.partition...m/utilities.htm

it will recover almost any partion that was on the drive if you formatted or not if there is anything left to salvage. follow the instructions and you should be fine.