Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hi everyone!

When I'm using my PC, All of the sudden EVERYTHING freezes! I cant do anything about it but restart the computer and this annoyes me because I'm ususally in the middle of chatting to somebody or something in that nature. Is there anyway to resolve this constant freezing?!

Thanks again to everyone!

Advertisements

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi NickX,

Welcome to Geeks to Go.

I'd just like to ask a few questions to help us better understand the circumstances surrounding your freezing.

Have you recently installed any program or new hardware?

Was there a electrical storm near you recently or has your area been victim of a black/brown out?

How old us your system and what are the specifications?

- Pseudopath.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello, I believe I have.

I downloaded

Firefox

I think that was the cause of the freeze but I deleted it from Add/Remove programs and its entries from the registry.

I havent froze in a day so hopefully i solved the problem by usign scanreg /fix

Here are specs

192 mb ram
AMD athlon 700 mhz
14 gb hd

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Okay, that's good news.
See how you get on without Firefox.

If you encounter any problems post back here.

- Pseudopath.

AndyPandy27

AndyPandy27

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Pseudopath,

Hi there, I am new to this, but as I was searching for an answer to my (similar) problem I came across this page and I am hoping that you may be able to help me...

My computer is also freezing on me, periodically, and I have no idea why.

The only new thing which I had done to it recently before the freezing began, was to install, then immediately roll-back from, Windows Media Player 11. I have done this half successfully- I now have Windows Media Player 10 in use, but the Windows Media Format 11 Runtime cannot uninstall as the folders required to do so have been deleted. But I don't think this is the problem.

Right, onto where you come in... you mentioned a "brown out" and whether or not Yield22 had had one, well I HAVE!! I came home from being away for a couple of weeks, and we were currently experiencing a brown out, but as I'd been away for a while, and wasn't 'used' to the lighting back at home, it just seemed a little odd, but I thought nothing of it and went ahead and booted up my PC... but alas! It kept restarting itself constantly sometimes getting to the stage where I would enter my password to get into Windows, most of the time not making it past the flash screen with all the BIOS info etc... This went on for a good hour to 2 hours, until eventually there was a sort of power 'surge' if you like and normal power was resumed. The PC then kicked into life and booted up, and promptly froze, nothing worked at all, mouse and keyboard all gone, nothing but a hard reset would do. Since then, every time the computer is on, it will randomly freeze, doing anything from web browsing to listening to music, to just typing in word. Quite often it will freeze very quickly after being booted, but it can do it at any time. Sometimes it will remain fine for upto 2 hours, but far too frequently it just freezes.

I have looked at it being a thermal problem, but all temps are fine, there are two large fans in the CPU and they are both working well.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, I really need my PC up and running again. Any info you need, just let me know and I will happily provide it.

Thank you for any help big or small,

Andy

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
That computer went into the trash.. It was a bad computer from the start...

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

That computer went into the trash.. It was a bad computer from the start...

Just thinking reading this topic I have run into a few customers computers locking up and as you say it will freeze up on me.

Yes sometimes new installed programs can cause this.. Processor to hot, hard drive going bad or has bad sectors on it.

It could also mean bad Ram...

I use this really nice little tool called " ultimate Boot CD " 2.4.. It's free to download and it has a wide variety of test you can do on your computer.

1. burn in test.

2. Mem (Ram) test.

3 hard drive test.

and it has other really nice tools..