Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FILE BACKUP AND TRANSFER SOFTWARE - BEST...!

• Please log in to reply

sunandoghosh

sunandoghosh

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
FILE BACKUP AND TRANSFER SOFTWARE - BEST...!!!

Hi everyone...!!!

WHICH IS THE BEST SOFTWARE (PREFERABLY FREEWARE) CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR FILE BACK UP AND

TRANSFER...??????? (NOT SYSTEM CLONING but only data/file backup and transfer)

Scenario:

I am having one Hard Disk of say 200 GB with three partitions 20 GB; 40GB; and 140 GB
Balance.

There is a huge amount of valuable data (only) of somehwhat say 70 GB on 3rd partition of

140 GB.

I want to move (transfer - not back up) this 70 GB of voluminous data from this 3rd
partition to another Hard disk of 160 GB where there is already data of 30 GB.

I dont want to do CUT - PASTE...(bcz long file names are not copied and if there is a
problem in copying at any stage the entire copying procedure stops in between and then its

diffuclt to track in thousands of folders and files what has been copied and what not)

I cannot clone as in that case destination data of 30 GB will be lost...whereas my goal is
to add 70 GB of data from partition 3 of hard disk one to already existing 30 GB data of
hard disk 2...without destroying data in hard disk 2 (which would happen in cloning or
image recovery)

Request:

Can i request all OF U TO PLZ SUGGEST ME Some way / idea / software / trick/ mechanism so

that i can freely move large amount of data - be it transfer or copying from one partition

to another partition of same hard disk or another hard disk....???

WHICH IS THE BEST SOFTWARE (PREFERABLY FREEWARE) CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR FILE BACK UP AND

TRANSFER...??????? (NOT SYSTEM CLONING but only data/file backup and transfer)

I hope I have been able to explain my situation clearly and hence would urge plz plz to put

forward valuable suggestions and replies....

Thanks and Best Regards

sunando ghosh

sunando

sunandoghosh at gmail dot com

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
"I dont want to do CUT - PASTE...(bcz long file names are not copied and if there is a
problem in copying at any stage the entire copying procedure stops in between and then its diffuclt to track in thousands of folders and files what has been copied and what not)"

Hi Sunando
You seem to be under the illusion that cut/paste or copy/paste does not preserve long filenames or folder-names. It does. And provided your hard disks are healthy and you temporarily disable the antivirus which would slow down the process, also disable any screensavers and power-saving settings temporarily, there's no reason why it would fail to complete.

Edited by pip22, 24 September 2006 - 12:27 PM.