Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Bootup failure-Registry Problem?

• Please log in to reply

TheBen

TheBen

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, today i decided to do a random clean up of stuff. So i ran ewido, defragmented a few drives and used cleanup!
After that i ran SpyBot search and destry and it found 1 problem, a registry fault. I chose to fix it and it said something like 'registry modification deleted'

Initially i rebooted and a popup said 'Delayed Write Failure' on drive P:\ and then the same on drive M:\.
So i searched for a registry mechanic and tried to download but initially internet explorer froze, then the second time it dloaded, then i installed and tried to run but it was trying to access a program in an Mp3 player program i used to use and wanted me to insert the disk that came with my mp3 player???. So i tried it again and the same happened.

So i tried restoring the pc to yesterdays settings, and it froze while trying to shut down.

Now it wont boot at all, i had a bootable system disk for AVG but that doesnt work (disk read error), and ive tried in safe mode.

It is running extremely slow and when its on i can hear the pc accessing something constantly (every 1/2 second).

Can you help me please experts!!

Ben

Advertisements

TheBen

TheBen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK now it boots, but very slowly. I am currently following the malware check steps just in case.

Edit: Ive run Ewido, CWShredder, Trojan Hunter, Adaware, and no change.
Its taking 5-10mins to boot

Edit (x2): Its not booting at all now :-(

Edited by TheBen, 24 September 2006 - 09:44 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
spy bot has a recovery for replacing any thing it deletes
check in that maybe it can restore the file

TheBen

TheBen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried that, didnt work. But i have fixed it now :blink:

I ran Spyware Doctor trial version, found the 2 high risk files and deleted tham manually.

Will be posting a HijacThis log as soon as i can get HijacThis to install. Apparently im missing a .dll file. :whistling:

Cheers anyway