Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error on startup

• Please log in to reply

suegy

suegy

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hi,

I'm getting this error every time I boot up my computer. THis has only happened since I upgraded to Internet Explorer 7 Beta. Here is the error:

"The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library. PSAPI.DLL

I am also not able to click icons on my desktop and be taken to that program. Is this a related problem?

What does this mean and how do I get rid of it?

Thank you.

S. Gilson

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Without analysing the error messages fully (takes time), I would suggest you uninstall the IE7 beta (Add/Remove Programs:near the bottom of the list). Reboot. Check that the problems you mentioned have now gone.

The latest version of IE7 has gone past the beta stage and is now available as "IE7 RC1" (Release Candidate 1). That will have been worked on and some bugs removed since the final beta. I'm using RC1 now and it hasn't caused me any grief yet that I know of, though of course every PC is different, so it's behaviour is not always predictable.
But that could be said of any software, even final releases.

I would just caution you against installing beta software on to a PC you rely on solely, unless you have a strategy for quick recovery should it go pear shaped. But IE7 RC1 has now matured somewhat since the beta releases so you may want to give it try. It can also be uninstalled just like the beta versions.

But please uninstall the beta version first and check that those problems have gone.

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
That took care of my problem! Thank you very much.

S. Gilson