Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu 5.10

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
hello,
I'm trying to install a second operating system on my computer. I am currently running WinXpSp2, and I have a Ubuntu 5.10 cd that I would like to install as my second OS. I'm having a problem installing it however. I have partitioned my hard drive correctly (followed proper instructions), but my problem comes when I'm trying to load my Ubuntu cd. When i insert the cd, Ubuntu loads its start screen and asked me about screen size and then language. After all of that it reads my hardware (this usually takes a long time). Once it reached 100%, it'll take me to the next screen, which for some reason is only a blank blue screen with a grey (task bar sized) banner at the bottom. And at this point nothing happend, it gets stuck! I'm left with this screen and it wont allow me to proceed with the installation. Can someone help me with this, I'm thinking that i might have to change some settings for this cd to work properly. Any suggestions?
THANKS

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Ubuntu 5.10 is a bit old for Ubuntu. You might consider Ubuntu 6.06 or SimplyMepis 6.0. As far as ease of installation SimplyMepis is the easiest I've ever installed and it's based on Ubuntu 6.06 and it also "just works".

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Agreed. There's no point in starting with Breezy. Lots of improvements in Dapper, and the install is easier too! It almost sounds like you installed the server version of Breezy, which does not contain the Gnome graphic interface. If you have broadband, d/l Dapper. If not, talk someone into doing it for you. Check the md5sum, then burn at a slow speed (4X or slower) with good quality media.

I've heard lots of good things about Mepis and PCLinuxOS too. If it's convenient, d/l each one, build the CD's, and run 'em "live" off the CD for a week or so to see which works best with your hardware.

Please be careful with dual-booting. I didn't have any problems, but had directions and followed them precisely. Many people have borked their Windows installs, or at least scared themselves when Windows played hide-and-seek until they fixed their MBR's!