Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound software dissappeared

• Please log in to reply

jumin

jumin

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
my laptop has been running fine, but when i try to shut down it takes FOREVER and i don't know why. Could it be Zone Alarm? It's the latest thing that i've installed.

But, my real problem is that my sound software disseared! i checked the sound and audio devices under my control panel and it said that there was no audio device installed. What happened?! It's supposed to be harmon/kardon

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your first problem could be ZoneAlarm but only way to be sure is to uninstall it and revert back to what you used before. I can tell you. however, that ZA did extend my shutdown time considerably so I found an alternative (Outpost Pro) even though I had to pay for it

As for your sound, my laptop was supplied with a CD containing just the device drivers for sound, graphics etc. so I can restore a missing driver without having to re-install the whole operating system. Did your laptop come with one of these CDs? (it will be called 'Drivers and Utilities' or something similar.

Edited by pip22, 25 September 2006 - 12:16 PM.

jumin

jumin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
i tried to delete this post because my sound came back after rebooting my comp. (which took forever)

and is zone alarm really the cultprit for my ungodly long shut down time? it's really annoying, takes more than 5 minutes to shut down, so i just end up holding the power button down.