Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ive just acidentaly activated windows xp on 2 comp

• Please log in to reply

Alexius

Alexius

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
i brought windows xp update to update it on top of windows 95 i activated it on my computer. i then went out and told my dad not to install it on his because it is illegal and i have already updated it so he wont be able to. when i came home guess what, yes he have installed it and he left it on for 30 days and it keept telling him to activate, intill it log him off on day 30 and wouldnt let him log on so he pressed acitave online and it said it was successfull. now isnt this what microsoft are trying to stop people doing. and will i get arrested for stealing?

i would be grate full to and feedback and info into my worries :tazz: ;) ;)

Advertisements

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I won't tell if you don't tell.
I'm not saying that it's OK, I'm just going to say that you probably aren't going to be on the Microsoft hit-list.

couriejegels

couriejegels

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I would not be so uncareful because is it not that if you have window any copy for that matter you get a product key with that right. so if you going to register your copy or for that matter wanting to go on to the internet seeing that the world is over populated with windows OS's it would not be hard to track something like that. Just for interest sake a friend showed me something about microsft clamping down on it even if you using XP it could be a shlep. Just be safe about it

Alexius

Alexius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
what the frig?

i accidentally did it and how can they find me and its their fault coz it shouldnt have been able to hapen and what punishment wil i get

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Microsoft has much bigger fish to fry than someone who activated their software on 2 PCs. If you were pirating the software and mass-distributing it, then you might have something to worry about. lol :tazz:

monzie32

monzie32

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I KNOW PEOPLE WHO REIGISTER IT ON 10 UNITS, DONT WORRY ABOUT IT AT ALL,,

user_name

user_name

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Windows XP allows you to register the software twice I beleive, not legally, but they allow it to successfully activate online twice, and on the third time you have to call them and tell them why you are activating again. Say you went and reformatted your computer, you would have to call them and tell them that, so they would give you an Installation Code, so you could then use your windows key again.

So in your situation, if you ever reformat, you will have to call them.

And in regards to you getting in trouble, there is no way they would come after you. Just don't call tech support at microsoft and brag about it. ha.

Alexius

Alexius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thanks alot guys cheers :tazz:

Mighty Boosh

Mighty Boosh

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ive reactivated mine on various occasions for various reasons. You normally end up talking to someone because you wont get past the automated system. Then you just say that you have had to put a new HDD in your PC and do a fresh install. Like most have said, worry not, I doubt for one minute that your in for a visit from Bill gates holding a baseball bat :)

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If you activated twice two PC's. You can call Microsoft at 1-800-MICROSOFT and speek to there License associates and I am sure they would be willing to help you.

Edited by tuxmaster, 29 December 2007 - 04:19 PM.