Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP pro will not boot 0x00000080 +

• Please log in to reply

cgc13

cgc13

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I turned on my DELL computer yesterday after a normal shut down and was greeted with the blue screen stating:
"STOP: c000021a {fatal system error} The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000080 (0x0000000 0x0000000) The system has been shut down."

I triedtostart windows from previous point but there are none.
Safe mode gives me the same screen.

I've tried REPAIRING Xp pro only to recieve multie (about 10) "Cannot copy the file XXX".
It is the same files each time I try.

I skip the files...configure...I still recieve the error message.
I checked the CD for dirt and scratches and also tried using another CD-rom drive ,no difference.
The disc, btw, is XP PRO with SP1. I have SP2 loaded onthe machine...does this matter?

I've run CHKSK /R in the prompt, but recieve this message at around 35% scanned:
"one or more unrecoverable sectors..."

What do I do?! I'm in a panic now!
Thank you

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
"one or more unrecoverable sectors..." is almost always a sign that the hard disk is failing and needs to be replaced with a new one, onto which you will have to re-install Windows.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Agree with pip22. I would find out what is the make of the HD, look for the manufacturer's internet site, download and burn into a disk (or make a floopy) of its diagnostic program and run a test. Start first with a quick test. If the disk fails, try a full test. Quite often a full test recovers the disk unless it is phisically damged. Please note, sometimes a full test may cause loss of data. Please read the instructions carefully.

cgc13

cgc13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Guys. thanks for you replies.

I found a SP2disc at workand tried to repiar using that. same problemw/ the files not copying.
Though when I booted up Windows I somehow got it to load CHKDSK on it's own.
The scan is still going on and it looks like i'm screwed. I keep receiving:
"File record segment # is unreadable"

What does this mean? Is it all over of this drive?
If so, is there any way I can get the info off of it?

Got the dianositic fromSeagate am waititng for ChkDsk to finish...but it looks grim!

Edited by cgc13, 25 September 2006 - 01:49 PM.

cgc13

cgc13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
crap! CHKDSKis delelting some indexentries now.....what's up with that?

Edited by cgc13, 25 September 2006 - 01:51 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Has Seagate finished the test? What's the verdict. has it failed ? Can you disconnect the HD and install it as a slave on another computer? If you can, try to approach the data and back it up to the other computer. If after that you run a full test and it fails then your HD must be replaced. By the way, other parts of the system might be damaged too but lets not be pessimistic.