Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Norton Anti-Virus

• Please log in to reply

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I received a hand-me-down computer a few months ago. I wanted to install Notron Anti-Virus, but ran into a problem. It seems that the previous user downloaded Anti-Virus for the computer (from Kazaa or a similar program I bet). I tried to un-install it, but not everything was uninstalled. Now I can't install the real program from the box because it senses part of the old program or something.

I don't remember the exact message I got, since I tried it a few months ago and I haven't tried since.

Is there any way to get rid of those last pieces of the old program?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you know the name of the previous programme, can you find it in add / remove, or programme files

If you find a folder in programme files, move it to my documents

Run disc clean up

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

Reboot

Try Norton

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

If you know the name of the previous programme, can you find it in add / remove, or programme files

I did this, and I believe I did it a few months ago initially, because when I clicked "Remove", nothing happened.

I'll try the other stuff in the morning.