Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Build

• Please log in to reply

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi,

Basically I want a high capacity hard drive which I can leave on my desk at home and put all the files I don't need everyday (video, music, pictures, etc...), whilst being able to take my laptop with me wherever I need to go.

I have been told my best bet would be to build one, but I don't really know where to start.

I've been looking on ebay and there are some cheap 250/320GB Seagate drives on there and I've been told they're fairly reliable. Also, with an ext.HD would I be able to put things straight onto it from a USB device? Or would I have to plug the lead into my laptop and select which hard drive I want it on? And would I be able to play files from the hard drive on my laptop without having to move them onto it's hard drive?

Another thing I've been hearing about is SATA. What's that? Is it possible to get a SATA > USB converter because I don't have a SATA port on my laptop.

Any Help?

-Tom

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

I have been told my best bet would be to build one, but I don't really know where to start.

Personally, I don't agree with that. I much prefer to buy one from the store already built. Personally, I feel that store bought ones are more secured in place, in other words, won't break if dropped accidentally (if they are off :blink:). Better built and easier to operate, in my opinion.

I've been looking on ebay and there are some cheap 250/320GB Seagate drives on there and I've been told they're fairly reliable.

Seagate is definately reliable. I have an external Seagate HD, no problems at all :whistling: Another excellent brand is Western Digital.

Also, with an ext.HD would I be able to put things straight onto it from a USB device? Or would I have to plug the lead into my laptop and select which hard drive I want it on?

Yes, you'd have to plug the USB device into your laptop, and tranfer it to the external directly from there, or if you don't have enough USB ports, transfer it to the laptop first and then to the External.

And would I be able to play files from the hard drive on my laptop without having to move them onto it's hard drive?

Yes, you'd be able to play them directly off your external drive.

Another thing I've been hearing about is SATA. What's that?

It's a way to connect your HD to your computer, or if you build your own, it is the type of connection from the HD to the adaptor.

Is it possible to get a SATA > USB converter because I don't have a SATA port on my laptop.

You'd only have to worry about SATA if you build your own. And even then, the SATA only applies to the External USB adaptor and the HD you choose. It still connects to your computer via USB.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 25 September 2006 - 10:36 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The reason for putting it together yourself is so that you can replace the disk without voiding the warranty and also if the USB interface dies, you can pull the disk and get the data without voiding the warranty. Also it is often cheaper to go that route.

When you connect the external disk through the USB port, it is accessed just like any other disk in the system. It can be a bit slower due to the connection, but for most things it should not be a problem.

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Ok,

So I've seen this drive

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

basically it's a 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (brand new) and it costs 70 quid.

Average Seek Time 11 ms
Buffer Size 8 MB
Capacity 250 GB
Connector 22-position Serial ATA (SATA) plug
Data Transfer Rate 300 MBps
Dimensions (WxDxH) 10.2 cm x 14.7 cm x 2.6 cm
Form Factor 3.5" x 1/3H
Interface Type Serial ATA-300
Manufacturer Warranty 5 years warranty
Product Description Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 - hard drive - 250 GB - SATA-300
Spindle Speed 7200 rpm
Type Hard drive - internal
Weight 0.7 kg

There's the performance details.

Is it worth getting? If I do get it, what else will I need? I have USB ports, that's it I think in the way of ports.

-Tom