Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing or Corrupt system32 files

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Leave the current file system intact,

Advertisements

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Now
Caution: window file already exits if you continue the file will be overwritten

All files,subfolders, etc.. & settings for that install will be deleted. The My Documents folder will also be deleted

To use the existing folder & Delete the existing Intall, Press L
To use a different folder, press ESC
To quit setup ,Press F3

I just want to try & save my Documents & pictures so that I can burn them to a CD. I don't care about anything else!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Press Esc

We'll set up a new directory (parallel install).

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
thanks for walking me through this! You are the best! Now it says:

setup needs to copy filesonto hard drive( shows a grey box with \WINDOWS in it)
to change location press BACKSPACE key to delete letters & then the name of the folder where you want to insatll Windows XP

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just add a 1 to Windows so you will have \WINDOWS1

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
copied files & restarted but then the blue screen popped up sayig
Problem: PROCESS1_INTIALIZATION_FAILED

Technical Info:
***STOP 0x0000006B (0xc0000102, 0x00000002,0x00000000, 0x00000000)
it says something about the BIOS what do I do now

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is leaning towards a bad hard drive, but let me research some of the specific parameters of the error. Lets cancel out of this installation if you have the option...if memory serves, it will automatically resume from this point when we continue. If there is no option to cancel the installation, power the machine off.

I'll post back to this thread in the morning when I've had a little sleep and a chance to look up some error codes. If the hard drive hasn't failed, we should be able to get this machine running.

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sounds good to me! I'm sorry for keeping you up so late! Thanks for the help that you have given to me so far! Rest your brain tonight & sleep well!

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Now it won't shut off!! :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: Did you ever get the machine shut down?

I'd like to go back a step and see if we can repair the original operating system. We'll go one screen at a time as we did last night.

Boot to the installation cd (Press any key to boot from cd)...that should take you to the screen below.
XPWelcome.gif
Is the the screen you see?

Advertisements

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I only have 1 monitor. That's why it took me so long to respond last nite. I was having connect & disconnect from 1 computer to another. A friend just called to let me borrow another monitor. can you give me an hour to go get it & get hooked up. If you need to go to bed I will understand.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you use the monitor tomorrow, as well? This will take a while, it might be better to get an earlier start. Hopefully I won't have to work as late tomorrow. :whistling:

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Wannabe1, Don't worry about it then cause the computer is getting a new hard drive tomorrow. Maybe my computer guy will be sweet & at least try to get my stuff off for me! You are a doll to at least try to help me. I will be back because I will have to re-install everything except Windows XP & will need advice about what I should get like Anti-virus & the other stuff that I need to prtect my Computer! Thanks a million but I think that it is shot beyond repair.
I love Geeks To Go! You guys & girls are the best & are really patient with newbies like me! I'm going to tell all my friends about your site ! Thanks a million!!! :whistling: