Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help... partitioning/formatting HD

• Please log in to reply

Aznbl4ckrice

Aznbl4ckrice

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Alright... I don't know what I've done, but I keep getting a blue screen on my current Hard Drive... And for some strange reason I've noticed my Windows 2000 CD isn't booting properly like it used to before. I remember putting it in and having the system detect the CD and ask Boot from CD and press a key or something but it doesn't do that. Instead it starts up this Caldera DRDOS thing... I've tried the CD in several computers and it's strange and doesn't boot from CD anymore, I have no idea why. I also tried creating Emergency Repair Diskettes but every time I'll get a "File missing" error which then I check the diskette and the file is sitting right there... just doesn't make any sense at all. If someone could please help me, I'd gladly appreciate it. I just want to have a new empty, partitioned and formatted HDD. Thank you to anyone who may have the knowledge and time to fix this problem.

Thanks,
Steve.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You may have to access the bios and change the boot order to boot from cd first. Usually, pressing the DEL key as you boot up will get you into the bios. Check your system documentation as some use one of the F keys. If you have done that and still can't boot from the cd, it may be damaged. When you tried booting from the cd on other computers, was the boot order "boot from cd" first? Need to check that before reaching any conclusion about the state of the cd. Once you can boot from the W2K cd, the rest is easy.

Edited by austin_o, 26 September 2006 - 07:21 AM.

Aznbl4ckrice

Aznbl4ckrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yeah, it was the CD... but still having trouble installing Windows 2k. Is there some way I can completely erase the Hard Drive to brand new? I put the Windows 2k CD in and it goes to that Caldera DR-DOS and I tried using the Fdisk command and using that but it doesn't seem to delete the partition on the hard drive, says I can't because it's in "Standard Mode" ? If there's some way I could do this I'd appreciate it greatly! Thank you!

-Steve

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can clear the drive easily enough, do you have a replacement operating system?

Aznbl4ckrice

Aznbl4ckrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have another Windows 2000 CD, and a Windows XP

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so with a 200GB hard drive, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

Aznbl4ckrice

Aznbl4ckrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OooOoo, Nice. Hopefully this works then. Thank you very much!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

Aznbl4ckrice

Aznbl4ckrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
[b]Alright, well I completely erased the HDD, but when I try to install Windows 2000 CD it runs fine but then when it tries to initialize the installation I get this error saying I don't have enough memory to install windows 2000? 30mb of (RAM) it says???? if it's determining that 30mb of RAM is required I have over 1000 atleast of RAM... doesn't make sense? anyone know the reason and cause of this error? THANKS!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Early versions of Windows 2000 do not recognise large amounts of memory over a certain point when you set it up from the CD. The solution therefore is to take some sticks of memory out, and once you're patched to Service Pack 4 and whatever else is out there, reinsert the memory.