Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

• Please log in to reply

Marina S

Marina S

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

I wonder if anyone can help me with an issue that I am having. I just bought a new Dell laptop (Inspiron 1705) Windows XP with Media Center. Every now and then the laptop crashes with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error at address 0x000000D1. I ran the chkdsk /r option, but that didn't fix the problem. The system configuration is the original that came from Dell. Dell tech support is clueless and tells me to reinstall the OS, but that doesn't solve the issue. Can anybody tell me how to fix this?

Thanks,
Marina

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Marina S...

Has the machine crashed like this from the day you received it or is this something that started after using the machine for a while?

wannabe1

Marina S

Marina S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The problem is that it doesn't crash every day. It happens randomly and I can't even figure out the sequence of events that took place that causes this. The first time it crashed about a week after I received laptop. Then 2 days later it crashed twice on the same day. Then it worked ok for 3 days after I ran the chkdsk /r, and then crashed again.

What I did notice is that all crashes happened when Media Center was on, and in two of the crashes, the sound card kept producing the last sound over and over again in a loop.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This issue can be caused by a number of things. Please download and run HiJackThis on the machine. Save a log and attach it to your next reply...this will allow me to see some of what is running on your computer.

Marina S

Marina S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Here is the log file that you asked for. Also, I am attaching the dmp file from the last time I had the error and the XML document with system info. Mini092106-01.txt is the dmp file.

Thanks,
Marina

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There are several entries in your log that I don't recognize...and one that I DO recognize as malware. I'm going to suggest that we get that taken care of before we go any further. If you are still experiencing the problem once the machine has been cleaned up, I see a few possible suspects in your startup programs that we can disable. My first thought is a conflict with the soundcard drivers, but let's wait and see what the malware folks have to say.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

stubborn0001

stubborn0001

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm having a similar issue on my latitude d620, but i've been getting a couple different blue screen errors. IRQL_not_less_or_equal; pagefault in non paged area; pfn error; memory management error; bad pool header. I did a windows xp repair, reinstalled windows over the current installation. updated drivers, etc... still isn't working correctly

www.richardscomputer.com

www.richardscomputer.com

• Pip
  • 1 posts
http://downloadfinde.....g Systems#DRV

try the matrix storage app from intel updates

I'm an IT professional - also having the same issue with a couple of laptops at work - while researching this error message, this was the only plausible fix i've found for XP machines. Hope it works for you...

--T

stubborn0001

stubborn0001

• Pip
  • 6 posts
It ended up being caused by a bad stick of memory, which is kind of weird because the dell diagnostics didn't catch it. As soon as I took one of the sticks of memory out, the problems stopped.

Marina S

Marina S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It's been many days since I've seen this error. But it happened again. I didn't get any answer from the Malware forum. If you can help me fix this issue, please help!!!

Here is the error signature:
BCCode: 100000d1 BCP1: 00000000 BCP2: 00000002 BCP3: 00000008
BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 256_1

Attached are the Mini102106-01.dmp and sysdata.xml files that were generated.

Thanks,
Marina

Attached Files

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've asked a Malware expert to look at your log...I'm sure he'll reply as soon as he can. There is one file that concerns me in the log as it appears to me like it's running from the wrong directory...this could be causing the problem, but I'm not sure at this point. I really would like to have an expert opinion on this file before we proceed.

Are you running XP Media Edition?

Marina S

Marina S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you. Yes, I am running XP Media Center edition.

Marina S

Marina S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Wannabe1,

it was determined that my computer is free from malware. So, what do I do next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great! Thanks, loophole... :whistling:

I don't trust files that run from a directory I'm not used to seeing them run from... :blink:

Let's see if we can pull a different kind of error code from the machine. Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click the "Settings" button.

In the Settings window, untick the box next to "Automatically restart", and click "Ok". "Apply" the change.

The next time your sytem has this error, it won't restart...it will generate a BSOD instead. When you see this, Get me all the parameters (numbers) and look for any file names that may be included in the information on the screen.

I'd also like to have you download and run WinAudit on the machine. Run the audit and save a report (use the "floppy looking" icon) in PDF format if you can...HTML if you can't save as PDF. Zip the report and email it to me...I'll PM you with the address.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I received the WinAudit report and am looking it over.

Can you check this setting for me?

Open Control Panel and double click on "Network Connections". Click the local area network (LAN) connection or the dial-up networking connection that you use, and then under "Network Tasks" (left frame), click "Change settings of this connection". Under the "Advanced" tab, do you see an "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" check box?

Is it "checked" or "not checked"?