Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rebuilding System Registry

• Please log in to reply

mschaefer

mschaefer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When booting the pc I get a blue screen that is stuck on 9% Rebuilding System Registry. Running Win98 on deskpro P800. Also, I can't find the boot disk.

Edited by mschaefer, 26 September 2006 - 10:07 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mschaefer...

Download this Win98SE Startup Disk and save it to your desktop. Double-click on the downloaded file, then put a floppy in the drive when prompted for it by the bootdisk application.

Then boot the problem machine with the startup disk in the floppy drive. At the options screen, press Shift + F5 for command prompt.

At the A:\ prompt, type c: and press "Enter"

At the C:\ prompt, type windows\command\scanreg /restore (note the space after scanreg) and press "Enter".

You will be presented with a screen containing five "snapshots" of your system you can restore to. Use the arrow keys and choose one (go down two to be safe) and press "Enter"...type Y at the prompt and press "Enter".

Once this completes, remove the floppy disk and reboot.

wannabe1

mschaefer

mschaefer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I never get a command prompt. I hit F10 and select boot from A: but I still get the reg issue.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Enter the BIOS setup to change the boot priority rather than using F10. Setup is usually accessed by pressing either F1 or Delete key during the boot sequence. It should specify a key at the bottom of one of the first screens you see during the boot.

Use the arrow keys to select the Boot section, use the arrow keys to select Boot Priority, and use the + or - keys to change the settings so the floppy is first boot device. Save the settings (usually F10, but there may be a menu option to save and exit). Sorry I can't be more specific...all BIOS versions are a little different.

With the Startup disk in the drive, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart the machine...it should boot to the floppy. At the options screen, press Shift + F5 for command prompt.

mschaefer

mschaefer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That got me back up. Now I need to get AVG started and clean up the virus'

Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts