Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ccApp remains despite all efforts

• Please log in to reply

T_D

T_D

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Right, well here's my problem.

I have Norton Internet security 2006 (it's a version that came pre-installed on my pc, subscription for 60 days) and ccApp remains during shutdown despite all my best efforts. I have removed all my temporary files (and I do this quite regularly), disabled the scanning of the floppy disk drive (as there isn't one) and generally tried everything I can. In the HijackThis log it has:

04 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"

Would it be unwise to delete this? Would it affect the pc in any way, as I have read that ccApp is an important process and that you should not try to stop the process. I did try once in Windows Task Manager/Processes to end the process but it wouldn't let me. Can anyone suggest anything that I can do? I do not have a small RAM (2gb) and the pc is new. Can anyone suggest any help - its taking ages to shut down and restart!! Help?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do not just uninstall or delete the program. Instead, use the nortons removal tool.

http://service1.syma...005033108162039

SRX660

T_D

T_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Would it be possible to do this, as Norton didn't come with an installation CD as it was presinstalled on the pc when I bought it? Sorry if it's a stupid question (computers aren't my strong point!)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
On the site link i gave you is a yellow button that says run it now. Click on that to run the norton removal tool.

SRX660

T_D

T_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have done as you said, but now I have no Norton online security.. at all! Seeing as it was a preinstalled program is there any way of getting it back [without the ccApp problem]

T_D

T_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Actually, all is OK now I installed it from the HP software repair wizard, I just need to check ccApp isn't still around by restarting... *crosses fingers*

T_D

T_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't believe it!! It's still there! Is there any way of getting rid of this nuisance - help??

Edited by T_D, 29 September 2006 - 04:29 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I am not trying to be mean here but the best way to fix your problem is to not run Norton software at all. There are plenty of other software than can do the same as your nortons without causing any problems. I ran Norton Av, and Works for a few years and finally just gave up on the software. Too many problems for me.

SRX660

T_D

T_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah, I think I'm going to buy a new anti-virus program the next chance I get. Can you recommend any good ones available for under about £30? Thanks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sorry about the late answer. I have been on vacation to disney world for the last week.

To answer your question i prefer using Avast and AVG. I was using AVG for a lomg while now and recently switched to Avast on the last 2 computers i've built. I find that Avast seems to do just as good of a job with a bit less resources used. Either one will do well. I just cannot justify using Norton, McAfee, or E-Trust because all three use quite a lot of resources and i have had problems with all three. These are the only AV's i have tried using.

SRX660