Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which is better? SDRAM or DDR RAM?

• Please log in to reply

Aznbl4ckrice

Aznbl4ckrice

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Alright I got a question... would 2 512mb of SDRAM sticks be faster then a total size of 2 256mb DDR RAM sticks? Reason I ask is I got spares lying around and my computer can either take SDRAM or DDR, and I only got 512 of the DDR and 1024 of the SDRam... so which one would you guys prefer I use for now?

Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Unless your motherboard is setup to run both kinds of memory you cannot run one or the other on your motherboard. Sdram has 168 pins and DDR ram has 184 pins. As the name suggests Double Data Rate (DDR) SDRAM doubles the read/write speed of previous generation SDRAM memory. Unlike previous generation SDRAM that used only one edge of each clock pulse, DDR SDRAM references both edges of the clock pulse, effectively doubling the rate of data retrieval out of the memory.

SRX660